Twenty Eight

I pull up to my house, texting Kaiden to hurry up and come outside. Quickly, he's out of the door and he slows down as he sees the car I'm driving, giving me a confused look. He hops into the passenger seat.

"When did you get this?" He asks.

"Jack got me it." I quickly reply, speeding to the hospital. "How did you find out?" I ask, referring to my parents.

"Hospital called the home phone. You weren't answering I was planning on literally walking there!" He almost yells at me.

"I'm sorry. Jack's parents are over and I got flustered. I didn't even bother checking my phone." I rush.

I would be mad and me, too, if I were Kaiden. Soon, we make it to the hospital and I park in the visiting area. I hope my parents are sharing a room. It's gonna be difficult to go back and forth, otherwise.

I speed walk to the front desk and the lady looks at me, waiting for me to say my parents names.

"Courtney and Daniel Monet." I say.

"Room 34, floor C." She tells me. "They're rooming together."

So, floor C. I can tell Kaiden is anxious and just wants to run up the stairs to see them. We calmly go into the elevator and to that specific floor and room. I'm so scared to look inside.

I squint my eyes as I walk into the room after Kaiden. I hear him gasp, knowing that's not good. I look at my dads eyes are shut, but my mom's are on the television. She smiles when she sees us.

"It's about time." She says.

"I'm so, so, so sorry. I wasn't home." I apologize.

"It's fine." She lightly laughs. "Your fathers in a coma. They t-boned us on a four way and we just didn't see." She manages to make out without crying.

I go over to her, comforting her as my brother sits next to my dad. My moms arm is wrapped up and I think it's broken. When will my dad wake up. I'm trying to be strong, but I can't and I begin to cry.

"Oh, honey. Don't cry, everything will be alright." My mom rubs my back, when I'm the one who's supposed to be comforting her.

"What if he's not okay?" My voice cracks and I cover my face with my hands.

We all just silently sit in the room with the little noise of the TV and short sniffles and sobs from myself. Dad, wake up, please. My phone starts to ring, but not obnoxiously loud. I answer it.

"Baby, I'm in the lobby." I hear Jack on the other line.

"Okay, I'll come down." I sniffle and the hang up.

I tell them I'm going to get Jack and my mom asks me who that is and I tell her I'll explain when I come back up. I take the elevator down and it feels like it's been so long since I've seen Jack, but only a couple of hours.

He's standing there, on his phone, like always, but notices me. When he makes eye contact with me, I bolt into his arms, full out sobbing onto his shoulder.

"Shh," he coos. "Don't cry."

"How can I not? My mom's hurt and my dad's in a coma." I look at him with my watery eyes.

Jack puts his hand on my lower back as we walk to the elevator and back up to their room. He's gonna meet my mom for the first time. What is it with us meeting each other's parents so close to each other?

We enter the room and Jack quietly shuts the door behind him. He bites his lip as he looks around the sanitized, sterile room. My mom slowly sits up, greeting Jack. He smiles at her.

"Mom, this is Jack; my boyfriend and Jack, this is my mom, Courtney." I introduce the two.

"So, this is the boy who your father is gushing over and telling me about." Her sense of humor is still there. "You look even more handsome in person."

"Thank you." He replies to her.

Jack sits down on the limited amount of chairs. They only gave us two? And Kaiden and Jack are sitting in both. I'm about to sit on the bed near my moms feet when Jack pulls me onto his lap.

"Young love." My mom smiles, fondly. "I remember when your father and I were in your positions."

"Camila has a new car." Kaiden blurts. "Does that mean I can have her other car?"

My eyes widen as I look at him. I hear Jack quietly chuckle, squeezing my leg. He rests his chin on my shoulder, talking into my ear.

"I'm glad you're driving it and accepting it." He says.

"You do?" My mom asks me.

I slowly nod, "yes, I do."

"What kind of car is it? How'd you get it?" She continues to interrogate me.

"G-Class Mercedes Benz." Jack answers for me. "I bought that for her as an anniversary gift."

We've only been dating for a month and he bought me a car. Jack hugs me around my torso. This not is all about public display of affection and he doesn't care who he's in front of.

My moms eyebrows raised, surprised, "how long have you guys been dating for?"

"A month." I almost snort.

"One month and he got you a car?" My mom smiles.

"Enough about me. How are you feeling?" I ask her. "Thirsty? Hungry? Achy? You should rest."

"You're right. I should." My mom lays back down.

"I'll stay with them." Kaiden says and I mouth a 'thank you' to him.

I take Jack's hand and we walk out of the room together. Jack kisses my head. I'm so lucky to have someone like him.

{vote, comment, share}