Twenty Nine

We're laying in Jack's bed at his house, ready to go to sleep and the only thing on my mind is if my dad will wake up or not. I cuddle further into Jack's chest, trying to not let it stress me out.

"Thank you for today." I sigh.

"I'm gonna be there for my girl when she needs me." He hugs me tighter.

"Are your walls soundproof?" I ask him, randomly.

"Only my room." He chuckles.

I haven't talked to Jack's parents, only to David for a short moment this morning. I should go and tell them goodnight. I still want to make Katherine change her impression of me.

"I'm gonna say goodnight to your parents." I say to Jack.

"Okay, tell them I said goodnight, too."

I nod and get off of the bed. I throw on some leggings quickly, to cover my legs and then walk out of Jack's door and down one level to their room that they're staying in. I can hear them yelling at each other, but I don't know why.

I hesitantly knock on the door and the shouting ceases immediately. Katherine opens the door and her eyes are wide when she sees me. I purse my lips until David comes into view.

"I just wanted to say goodnight." I awkwardly say.

"Oh, okay, goodnight." Katherine actually flashes a genuine smile at me. "You didn't hear us fighting, did you?"

I shift my weight onto one leg, "kind of?"

"Please, don't tell Jack. He hates when we fight and we haven't told him about what we were thinking of doing." Katherine says quickly.

"Thinking of doing what?" I ask, the nasty?

"Divorce." David butts in.

My eyes literally pop out of my head. They're not gonna tell Jack that they're thinking of having a divorce? Jack's gonna go apeshit. Jack's parents just both stare at me, waiting for my slow reaction.

"Promise me you won't tell him." Katherine begs.

I don't know if I can keep it from him.

"Okay." I sigh.

Shit, I'm such a bad girlfriend.

"Thank you." She smiles again, slowly shutting the door.

If I keep this from Jack and he eventually finds out, he's gonna be mad at me for the longest time. He probably might even dump me because of this. I walk back up the stairs and into Jack's room.

I pull off my pants and toss them to the side of the room. This could change everything. This could change him because it won't be easy for him to cope with the fact that this parents are separating.

"What took you so long?" Jack asks me.

"I went to get a drink of water." I lie.

The secret is already eating me alive. I don't know how long I can hold it in for. Maybe they'll tell him tomorrow. We'll just have to wait. This just adds more to my mind and stress. First, my parents in the hospital and now Jack's parents getting a divorce?

"You okay?" Jack grabs my hand. "You're just staring at the ceiling."

"Yeah, I'm fine." I chew my bottom lip, nervously.

"Camila, tell me what's wrong." His voice more stern and forceful and persistent.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm fine. I'm just tired and I'm thinking about my parents."

"I've told you it's going to be alright."

I turn to face away from him, like my normal sleeping position and turn off the lamp beside me. Jack snakes his hands around me, pushing me so I'm flushed against him. I close my eyes and try not to overthink all of this.

*

I wake up before Jack as always and got ready. I go downstairs, hoping I'd catch David and Katherine before they leave to go somewhere. They leave tomorrow morning and I think Jack's dropping them off at the airport.

I quickly run down the stairs, trying not to fall, and they're sitting silently at the table. They look up and I approach them slowly, trying not to seem too eager to talk to them, but in reality I am.

"You guys need to tell Jack." I tell them and they both look at me like I'm crazy. "You guys have to tell him before you leave because if you tell him over the phone once you guys go, he's not gonna take it well."

David sighs, rubbing his forehead, "maybe she's right." He says to Katherine, who purses her lips.

"Okay, we'll tell him tonight." She says.

I tell them that I have to go to the hospital to see my parents and for them to tell Jack that I left when he wakes up. I drive to the hospital, and park in the same place I did yesterday.

I get up to floor C and Kaiden is sitting outside of the room, staring down a the floor. Why isn't he in the room with them? Panic begins to run through my veins, but then I'm put at ease as Kaiden talks.

"They're running tests on them." He tells me and I nod.

"I brought you a little something." I say, grabbing an iPhone charger out of my purse.

He grabs it like I'm his savior and plugs it into an outlet next to him. I take a seat and begin creating conversation.

"How are they?"

"They're good. Mom's feelings much better after resting and dad woke up once, but then knocked back out. Wish you were here to see him. He was asking for you, but I couldn't tell you because my phone died."

"Why didn't you call me on the hospital phone?" I ask.

"Didn't remember your number." Kaiden tells me, shrugging. "Overall, they both seemed well."

*

After being at the hospital all day, I return back to Jack's house right before they have dinner. I need to be here when they tell him. I want to see his reaction and if he's completely heartbroken or angry, I'll be there for him.

We all take a seat as Katherine serves us food. This time she cooked and I didn't have to. I sit next to Jack and he starts talking to me.

"How are your parents?" He asks me.

"They're good. Better." I smile at his question.

"What's wrong with your parents?" David asks me.

"They got into a car accident and are in the hospital." I reply.

"You must feel horrible." He says and I nod my head.

Not as horrible as Jack's gonna feel once you tell him. Them divorcing isn't as bad as my parents almost losing their life, but for Jack, it's gonna be horrible. Jack puts hand upon my knee as I start eating.

"Jack, your father and I need to say something." Katherine starts and he turns his attention to them. "We don't know how to say this..."

"Just say it." Jack snaps.

"We're getting a divorce." David blurts and Jack's eyebrows furrow immediately.

"What? Why? What the fuck!" He bangs his fist on the glass table and thank god, it didn't break. "Do Molly and Laura know about this?"

Ah, his sisters, I assume or some people in his family. Jack looks angry and wounded at the same time, but more angry. I'm scared he's going to do something he's going to regret. I knew that there was at least going to be an outburst.

"Yes. We haven't been happy together and being separated is the best thing for us." Katherine says.

"Did you know about this?" Jack's eyes shoot daggers at me.

All I can do is stand still and nod my head.

{vote, comment, share}