Chapter 1

"Your father doesn't know how to tie ties either," Clara muttered as she helped her daughter, Lauren, put on her new school uniform. The Jauregui family had just moved from Miami, Florida, to Wolf's Point, Georgia, after Mike, Lauren's father, got a job transfer to Atlanta. Wolf's Point was a small suburban town fifteen minutes from Atlanta that was the complete opposite of the busy city Lauren grew up in.

Today was the first day of Lauren's junior year. Her new school, Wolf's Point Prep, had a different uniform than the one Lauren wore at her old school, Carrolton. Wolf's Point Prep's uniform consisted of a grey skirt, white button down, a choice between a red and gold tie or a red and blue tie, and the choice between a blue blazer and a red blazer. It reminded Lauren too much of Harry Potter.

"Are you nervous?" Clara asked as her and Lauren walked to the kitchen.

Lauren shrugged, "I mean transferring to a new school where I know no one in the middle of high school isn't ideal, but I'll be fine,"

Clara sighed, "I'm really sorry about that, sweetie. Your father tried his hardest to stay in Miami,"

"Hey, Hogwarts," Chris, Lauren's younger brother, smirked, walking into the room. "I've always pegged you for a Slytherin, Laur, not a Gryffindor."

"Wipe that grin off your face, you'll be in this uniform next year," Lauren said, shooting Chris a glare.

"Now let's not fight before your big day," Clara insisted. "You should leave soon, new student orientation starts at 7:30,"

"Have fun, kid," Chris smiled as Lauren left, going to her car. She sighed, sliding into her car and drumming her fingers on the wheel.

I could just skip today she thought to herself. But then I'll miss all that touring crap and probably miss my schedule and instructions from my teachers.

Lauren let out a long, dramatic sigh as she pulled out of her driveway and drove to school. Not many people were at school yet, but she noticed a table of students that were probably the welcoming committee.

"Hi!" a cheery brunette said as Lauren walked up. The girl was wearing a nametag that said HELLO! MY NAME IS CARLY ROSE. "Are you here for the new student orientation?"

Lauren nodded. "Okay, why don't you follow Keaton down the hall to the gym. You sit in the bleachers depending on what year you're going to be entering," Carly said, giving Lauren a warm smile.

The boy, Keaton, gave Lauren a flirty smile, which she ignored. When they walked into the gym, Lauren saw a dozen kids scattered around the room.

"The junior section is over there," Keaton said, pointing to the far side of the room where one girl sat. Lauren thanked him and walked over.

She plopped down next to the girl, who jumped in surprise, not noticing Lauren because she was on her phone.

"Hi, I'm Lauren," she smiled.

"Normani," the other girl said, "Looks like we're the only new juniors," she laughed nervously.

"Yeah looks like it. I just moved here from Miami," Lauren said, placing her bag on the floor next to her.

"I'm from Texas,"

This conversation was going nowhere. Lauren could feel the girl getting bored with her.

"Do you play any sports?" Lauren asked, trying to not run into the awkward silence.

"I dance, but I was thinking about trying out for the cheer squad, what about you?" Normani shifted in her seat to face Lauren, giving her a shy smile.