Changes

I was very comfortable. I didn't remember my straw mat being so nice. I let out a contented sigh and tightened my hold on my pillow, snuggling in. My pillow began to move at the same time I heard the laugh. It is the kind of laugh that you either love or hate. It had a smooth as carmel consistency and made chills run down my spine.

I slowly opened my eyes. I sat up quickly and groaned. I had fallen asleep on Loki last night. I was worried. What if he mocked me or was mad? I glanced at him and then back at my hands that I clasped in my lap. Cool, slender fingers gently captured my jaw. They moved my head so I was looking into Loki's eyes.

" I haven't slept that well in ages darling." He crooned softly.

I smiled and pushed a piece of rebellious hair behind his ear. He smiled gently.

Unfortunately, I had to go to work. It was very busy, I was worked harder that day then I had ever. Rumors were flying. The king was sick and many feared the sickness would be fatal. They all speculated on who would be crowned king. At about one o clock, the king died. It was gut twisting. Our great king was dead. Who would lead us now?

Although not many people were invited to his funeral, I mourned our loss privately. I had not seen Loki in several days. I had decided that he would probably need some space after hearing of his father's death. Anyhow, I was very busy at work, working till ten at night sometimes.

A week after the king's death, a will was discovered. His death was very sudden and unexpected, most expected his full recovery. The kingdom was in shock. The will stated that if Thor was still in Midgard at the time of his death, Loki would be crowned king of Asgard. He had no other heir and he believed that he would do his best even if he had made mistakes before. However, he had appointed a captain who would make sure that Loki was a good king and if he found Loki guilty of anything against the kingdom, he was to be returned to his cell and the captain would be king.

The kingdom was shocked and scared. They feared what Loki would do to them. As for me, I was sad. This meant no more talks and daily visits. I could not just go and see him now, for he was a king and I was a peasant. I just wished I had a chance to say goodbye....

** 6 Month Time Skip**

I had not spoken to Loki in six months. A part of me had hoped that he would summon me to the castle or at the very least he would write to me. But not a single word. Although it broke my heart, I supposed he had forgotten about me. I had continued working at the castle however.

I was lonely. Ashanti was very busy and had barely had time to say hello. Although I had wondered where Lawrence went, I simply did not care anymore. That became the story of my life. I stopped caring.

After Loki had been crowned king, he had proved himself and no one was worried anymore. But I fell into a sort of depression. I stopped talking as much and grew thin and pale. I was broken hearted.

One day, I was suddenly and unexpectedly promoted to a chamber maid. I was in charge of cleaning the vast library and a few rooms, mostly ones for the guests.

Today as I was walking to clean the library, I saw him. He was laughing, a beautiful sort of laugh. I rounded the corner and saw him and Ashanti, laughing and talking. He leaned down and whispered something in her ear, she giggled softly. I almost sobbed at the sight, but months of pain had made me incapable of tears. I had hoped to sneak by unnoticed but Ashanti spotted me.

" Lola! I didn't know you worked here! Come meet the king." She said, running toward me and dragging me over to King Loki. I shook my head and tried to tell her no, but she wasn't paying attention.

" King Loki. This is my best friend Lola." She pushed me towards him. I bowed deeply, keeping my head low. Before he could say anything, I quickly excused myself.