thirty four

"Thank you!"

Lauren waved softly to the woman at the door as they made their way back down the front porch steps. Presley was in Camila's arms, looking ahead nervously as they said goodbye to the members of the group home and hello to a future that was entirely unknown.

"We've got a long drive ahead of us," Lauren laughed, glancing at the younger girl who looked over at her quietly. Camila nodded.

"I can sit in the back," she offered once they got to the car. "Here," she turned to Presley, using her free hand to open the door and gently setting the girl in the car seat. Lauren silently applauded herself for remembering that they needed one.

"Lo," Camila whispered, glancing back at Lauren and then nodding into the car. "How do I do this?"

"Do what?" Lauren slid beside her, where Camila held the seatbelt. She looked at her wife in confusion before looking back at Presley.

"Oh god," Lauren shook her head, gently scooting Camila aside so she could take the seatbelt from her. "I... uh... like this, maybe?" She attempted to hook the seatbelt under the arms of the seat. Presley just watched her in confusion.

The youngest girl reached out, taking the buckle from Lauren and almost effortlessly securing it across her lap. When the seatbelt clicked to secure that it was shut, Lauren couldn't help but laugh softly.

"Looks like we could learn a thing or two from you," Lauren gave the girl a soft smile.

It was easy to tell that Presley was nervous. She had her arms hugged tightly around her torso and her wide eyes were looking around timidly.

Fifteen minutes into the drive, though, Presley was fast asleep.

Camila quickly shed her jacket, folding it up into a makeshift pillow and gently sliding it under the smaller girl's head before crawling up front into the passenger seat.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Lauren asked quietly, glancing in the rear view mirror and catching a sight of the sleeping girl. Her heart ached knowing the things she'd been through.

"Does she know?" Camila asked, confusing Lauren even more.

"Know what?" the green eyed girl glanced over at Camila as they drove. Her wife bit her lip, thinking for a few moments before sighing.

"They never told me," Camila sat cross legged on the passenger seat. "About my parents."

"When the accident happened?" Lauren raised an eyebrow.

"Ever," Camila explained. "Everyone was too... scared. To tell me. They just expected me to know."

"That they died?"

Camila nodded softly. "No one... explained it. I thought it was a lot of different things. I had to figure it out on my own."

"So you think we should try to explain it to her?" Lauren asked, reaching over and taking Camila's hand in her own. The smaller girl thought for a few moments.

"That is what I would have wanted," the brown eyed girl nodded slowly, absentmindedly playing with Lauren's fingers. "Do you think so?"

"I think we at least owe her an explanation," Lauren nodded. "And just make sure she knows that if she has questions - whether it be now or when she's older - that we're here to answer them."

"I like that," Camila smiled softly.

They drove for about an hour longer. Camila took over playlist duty, but ended up falling asleep halfway through. Glancing in the rear view mirror, Lauren found Presley still asleep, now hugging Camila's jacket against her chest.