Chapter 15: Closer

A/N: Short, because this is mostly just feels, developing the Loki and Taylor relationship. More plot next chapter, I swear.

The sun was beginning to set, setting the Asgardian sky to fire and Loki found that it reminded him of Taylor. It was just as vastly beautiful and vibrant as she was. He stared at it from her balcony while the others fussed around her. The healers had patched her together again, sealing and removing smaller cuts and bruises, leaving her with nothing more than stitches over her side and shoulder. By morning, they'd promised, she would be healed entirely, but she needed to stay still and rest until then.

"Guys, I'm fine, really. Go get something to eat, already," he heard her trying to convince them, "I've had worse."

"Alright, but Loki is staying here with you in case you need anything," Steve said, shooting the god a meaningful look.

Normally, the Loki would argue, but he wanted a few moments with Taylor alone. After she'd told him that she was glad he'd returned safely, she'd drifted off to sleep and then the Avengers had swooped down upon them and rushed her to the infirmary. They hadn't had a moment to speak one-on-one since then. He valued his time with her, as he was very aware that it was limited. To keep appearances, he twisted his features to aggravation as he turned from the stunning view.

"Yes," Loki agreed dryly, "I'll wait on you hand and foot. You'll want for nothing."

She shot him the biggest, goofiest smile he'd possibly ever seen—Thor's included—and giggled.

"Sounds like a good deal to me," she added a shrug on the end but grimaced when it pulled at her stitches.

Almost all of the others groaned. At this rate, she'd never heal.

"Just take it easy, doll," Bucky sighed, running a hand through his long hair, "can't have you out of commission for the big show down."

Taylor smiled and patted his hand.

"Just you wait. I'll have won the whole thing before you can even blink," she assured.

"That's our girl," Clint chuckled and mussed her hair affectionately, "you get some rest, Tay. We'll bring you some dinner when we're done, okay?"

She nodded, and watched them begin filing out with a content look on her face. Tony lingered, waiting until Loki had reentered the emptying room. There was something he had to say to Loki, and he wanted to get it over with.

"Reindeer Games," he called from the doorway, and waited until Loki was narrowing his eyes at him, "I'd like word."

Taylor perked up curiously at that, and even Loki had to admit his interest was piqued. Tony barely ever said two words to him that weren't insulting. With this in mind, he cautiously approached him.

"Just one second, Tay," Tony said lightly, probably trying for reassuring, but it just freaked her out.

"Play nice you two," she called as the door closed behind them.

Loki settled his arms behind his back and looked down at the shorter man expectantly. Whatever the hero couldn't say in front of his beloved Taylor was certainly worth hearing. Amusingly enough, he crossed his arms, but his expression was uncharacteristically serious as they considered each other. Would this perhaps be a cliché warning to stay away from her?

"Look, no matter what Taylor says, she's becoming invested in you, which is problematic. I'm sure you know why."

"My freedom has a time-limit," Loki supplied calmly.

"And you're also a homicidal megalomaniac."

Loki sighed, wishing he'd get to the point quickly and without irritating him. Considering he was going to be taking care of Taylor, alone, for the next hour or more, Tony was not making a good case that Loki treat her well. He didn't plan to treat her badly of course, her friend's rudeness aside, but still. Stark couldn't know that.