Chapter 4: Just a Dream

I still felt dead tired when I woke up later that afternoon, which I expected. I always felt like crap after an investigation, especially one that went on until the next morning. Usually we would be done by three or four in the morning, but this one had lasted all night. Thinking back, I wished I hadn't gone.

I couldn't seem to shake the feeling that something was... off. I'd always worried about something following me home, but usually said a prayer of protection to hopefully prevent it, however, this felt different. Not like something had followed me home, but like the negativity in that place had rubbed off on me somehow. Maybe it was just my imagination or the bad dream I'd had this morning. Either way, I didn't like it.

I took some Ibuprofen, hoping it'd stopped the jack-hammering in my head,  before heading down for breakfast, which ended up actually being a late lunch, since it was almost four o'clock. "What are you doing here?" I asked my sister, who was sitting at the bar that lined one side of the big island that took up too much space in the kitchen. "I thought you'd be with Derrick today."

"I'm going to be. He had football practice, so he's picking me up in a bit." She frowned. "He's late, actually."

"What else is new?" I didn't hide the fact that I didn't like her boyfriend. They'd only been together a couple of weeks, but the way they went on, even in public, you'd think they'd been together a couple of months. "I'm sure he got sidetracked," I added, "by the cheerleaders."

"Cheerleaders don't go to practices, and even if they did, he wouldn't get sidetracked by one," she argued. 

I was in no mood to aggravate her about her poor choice in boyfriends today, so I continued to get the milk and cereal out, pouring myself a big bowl. "Where's Mom and Dad?"

"They went out on the lake with the Fergusons. Mom said to tell you they might not be home for dinner."

"Of course not." 

"I'm glad I'm leaving today, too. You're grumpy." I shrugged, unable to disagree. "Are you sure you're okay? After you freaking out at school and--"

"I'm fine," I said, cutting her off. I in no way wanted to be reminded of that. "Are you going to be home for supper? Maybe we could order pizza or something and watch a movie."

"No, Derrick said he wanted to go to the movies. You can come with us, if you want. I'm sure he's got a friend who'd be happy to keep you company," she said, winking at me.

"No, my head's killing me, so I may just hang out for a bit and go back to bed."

She shrugged. "Suit yourself." She hopped down off the stool. "If you change your mind, let me know and we'll meet you."

"Thanks, but I'll be okay." There was no way I'd torture myself through a movie with Derrick, who I'm sure would either keep talking through the whole thing, since he was rude like that, or worse, he would find something funny and laugh out loud, which made me think of what a donkey would sound like if it was being abused. I don't see how Kylie could put up with it, personally, but to each his own.

She looked down at her phone. "Well, he's here, so I'll see you later."

My mouth was full of Cocoa Puffs, so I simply threw my hand up at her as she walked out. Once I was finished, I went to the sink to rinse my bowl out, trying not to think about the day before. This entire weekend had been crazy, so I couldn't wait for Monday to come, which never happened. 

I'd just turned the water off when I heard Kylie come back in. "Did you forget something?" I asked, turning around to find the kitchen empty. "Kylie?" I heard some footsteps upstairs and assumed she was in her room. Maybe she and Derrick had a fight or something. One could only hope.