Chapter 37: Hateful Liar

Alistar pulled the car up at the end of the driveway, ready to pull into the drive but I couldn't wait for him to slowly crawl up the drive, I had to get to Elizabeth right this second. I heard Sedrick trying to call me back but he gave up, instead he joined me and threw open the heavy doors of the mannor, holding them for me to storm straight in.

"What are you-" was all I heard as I made my way through the house that came back to me as if it had been a dream and I'd just remembred it now. I heard more and more footsteps following me, people eagger to know why I was here, why I was pissed, why I was here with their masters brother, storming through the as if it were nothing but a mere obstacle on track to my goal.

I could hear their gasps and I almost turned around to say something but Sedrick reached for my hand, squeezed it tightly in his and I knew immediately that there was no point, I was doing this my way.

I turned a corner and then suddenly the doors to the throne room were in my view. She was on the other side of that door, the person who I'd never wanted but the person who I wanted most. My palms felt clamy, my voice getting lost in my dry throat.

I found myself stopping momentarily, not a pause that looked like I'd paused but a stoppage that was as if I were trying to catch myself from going wrong. But in truth, I was pausing beacuse I didn't know whether I wanted to see what was on the other side of that door because it was every single hope and dream that I held, what if it all went wrong? What if...No. I couldn't even imagine not knowing any more.

I marched straight up to those doors, threw them open and Sedrick squeezed my hand tightly again, he wanted to protect me but this was something that I had to do alone if I was going to do it like a mess.

"Malik!" I shouted as I entered the room, storming over to him as he watched me with his mouth wide open, eyes like daggers.

I felt the room stop, my eyes drawing to the small bundle he held in his arms. I felt my chest tighten, my eyes water, I didn't know her. Why didn't I know her?

"Candice." he said with a smug look on his face. Elizabeth was in his arms making tiny snoring noises.

I wanted to charge over to him and snatch her from his arms, I wanted to kill him for everything that he'd done but I was smarter than that.

"Have you come to kill me?" he said, not in a questioning way but more of a 'you'll never get the chance to try' way.

I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn't tear my eyes from her. In fact, all I could do was close my eyes and feel the guilt I'd tried to pretend and kid myself into thinking I wasn't going to feel when I finally got that close that I could see my flesh and blood.

I heard a stiffled laugh come from Malik's lips and suddenly my guilt turned into pure anger.

"You don't know how much I'd love to kill you with my own two hands but I think for today I'll just settle with taking my daughter." I yelled from somewhere deep inside of me that yearned to kill him for everything he'd done to me, to Sedrick and to Elizabeth.

He scoffed at the idea which only made me want to kill him harder, "You think you can come and take Elizabeth? You're hardly her mother, you didn't even want her to start off with. I had to force you to go and see the spirits it was that bad." 

I heard the gasps from behind me suddenly emerge again, hushed whipers questionning who knew what, what had happened and what was going on.

I stuggled to find words to speak again, it wasn't easy to just say something in this place because he had influence, he had strength and he had my daughter. I wanted her and I had to get my side across too because in this room, Sedrick was the only person who knew the difference in the lies to the truth.