06: Masquerade

Caroline sat on one of the leather seats, her hands clenching against her knees. She was scared, shaken up by what happened a few hours ago. I took the glass of blood, added a shot of vodka, and handed it to her with a small smile.

   "Thanks," she softly said, grabbing the glass. She took a careful sip and let out an emotionless laugh. "I'm still shaking." She took another drink.

   "What happened?" Stefan asked as he arrived. His arms were wide and brows furrowed in curiosity, a face he seemed to have a lot.

   "Go ahead, tell him," Damon encouraged. "You're gonna love this."

   "I saw Katherine today," Caroline began.

   "Where?"

   "At the Grill." She looked scared. "I just stopped by to gawk and quasi-stalk Matt..." She began to speak about the small conversation she and Matt had, which made Damon groan.

   "Skip the teen drama and get to it," he said.

   She rolled her eyes and then glanced back at Stefan. "Then I had to pretend to to use the bathroom, even though I didn't really have to go because I'm a doofus. I was washing my hands when Elena walked in, but it wasn't Elena. When I tried to leave, she stopped me. She said that I needed to deliver a message to you three."

   "What was the message?" Stefan asked, leaning slightly closer to her.

   Caroline took another deep breath. "She wants the moonstone, or she will rip this town apart until it rains blood."

   "Tell him the rest," I told her, standing and beginning to pace with my arms crossed.

   "Tonight, at the masquerade ball."

   "She wants to do it in public," Stefan guessed. "Killing Mason threw her off guard."

   "She's running scared," Damon mused. "What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's running out of tricks."

   "We can't underestimate her," I sighed. "We have to play this smarter than her."

   "Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline asked, a mixture of annoyance and fright in her voice.

   "No, Katherine's not getting dick," Damon snapped. "I've had it. I'm gonna go to the masquerade ball and I'm gonna kill her, tonight."

   "You're not gonna kill her," I said, looking over at him.

   "Don't give me that goody-goody crap," he groaned. "I have enough of it with Saint Stefan!"

   "You're not gonna kill her," I repeated.

   "Oh really?" He marched to where I was. His face was inches away from mine, his eyes slightly closing as he glared at me.

   A small smirk spread around my lips. "Because I am."

   "Oh, so now you want revenge?" he mused, a small smirk around his lips.

   "Oh, sweetheart, I've wanted revenge ever since she killed me," I said, the smirk still visible around my lips. "Maybe before that."

   "Okay!" Stefan stepped between us, stopping whatever fight was going to arise. "I'm going to text Bonnie. We'll need her help."

    While we all waited for Bonnie to arrive, Alaric came. And he seemed to have a tail following him since Jeremy came as well. He had a bag filled with weapons, and spread them all on a table. It was an array of weapons, some that I have seen and some that were Alaric's very own inventions. After he spread them out and began to show them to Damon and I, Bonnie arrived.