VII

Their bike lessons continued for the next few days. As soon as the sun started to set, they would both head outside. They chose that time of day so they wouldn't have to endure the brunt of the draining Miami heat. An hour or two was all it took to build Camila's experience. She grasped the concept sooner than Lauren was expecting. After only about three days of Lauren's lessons, Camila could go much farther alone than before. Gradually, Lauren stopped aiding her with her hand on the seat nor handlebar. She just watched from the side as Camila ripped through her neighborhood.

"I can't believe I can actually do that," Camila sighed giddily as she walked beside Lauren on her way back to their house. Both girls had one hand on the handlebar, walking on either side of the bike.

"I'm proud of you. You did a good job today," Lauren beamed, taking no hesitation in saying those words. Over the time they spent together, she found that Camila was kind of like a puppy. If you regarded her with excitement and gave her a ton of compliments, she was putty in your hands. Lauren even contemplated rubbing her belly as a reward since she responded so positively to praise. But she decided against it. That probably would've been a little weird.

"Thanks. You're an amazing teacher. I seriously thought there was no hope," Camila shook her head fondly at her first attempt. "Remember a few days ago when I got so mad that I couldn't do it?"

"Yep," Lauren affirmed with a little giggle. "You seemed more frustrated than anything, though."

"I was," Camila nodded. "Look at me now," she added in the tune of Chris Brown's song.

"I'm gettin' paper," Lauren joined in.

Camila grinned at Lauren, then they both broke out into the song. Camila provided the background sound effects. Lauren simply sang the chorus. Camila sort of started doing a little dance as they walked the bike back home. Lauren was watching her in amusement, now unable to wipe off her stupid smile. After she stopped being so standoffish towards her, she realized that Camila wasn't terrible company at all. She was funny and weird and always kept Lauren entertained.

"Oh my god, I can rap all of Busta Rhyme's verse," Camila announced excitedly as the thought popped into her mind.

"You can not," Lauren called her bluff blithely.

"I can! Look, I'll do it right now," Camila insisted and came to a stop. "Are you ready for this?"

"Go for it," Lauren stopped as well and leaned on the bike to watch her. She didn't know what to believe at the moment. Camila was always surprising her with her odd talents.

"Wait, let me see the lyrics," Camila held a hand up as she pulled out her phone. "Okay. Ready?"

"I just told you I was," Lauren laughed and shook her head. Camila was stalling. There was no way she could actually pull it off. "Stop while you're ahead."

"Shut up, I can do it," she insisted and scrolled to the top of the lyrics page.

Camila should've taken Lauren's advice. She got off to a nice start, easily flowing through the first few lines. Then she fumbled her words. She cleared her throat and looked up at Lauren with blushing cheeks. Then she excused herself and insisted that that was only a minor mistake. Lauren relented and offered her another shot, but Camila stuttered again. Lauren laughed at her and lost all hope. She knew she couldn't do it.

"You suck," Lauren chuckled and began walking once more. It was a little darker now and she wanted to hurry up and make it home. She had superstitions about being out late at night. She wasn't a fan of the darkness.

"I can do it... Just not now. I think you're messing up my flow," Camila fabricated an excuse and waved Lauren off.

"Definitely. That's totally the reason," Lauren sarcastically agreed with a little giggle.