Chapter 10

It was truly dark out by the time Renzo had left the woods and was back on the busy street. Cars swerved past him as he walked, going by so fast that the huge gusts of wind they made nearly knocked him over. He didn’t realise that he was walking on the side of the road rather than the pavement, his mind much preoccupied. He was thinking if he dare try and talk to Ash again. And if he did, would her parents hunt him down and kill him? He shuddered at that thought. He may not have liked certain aspects of life right then and often wished that he could make them go away, but he didn’t think him dying would solve any problems.

He was tired of sleeping at hotels and sleeping on the uncomfortable bunks in the tour bus. He was also tired of the endless throngs of screaming fans, fans that would follow him wherever he went, fans that would beg to be his. He really loved being in the band, but sometimes it got to be too much for him to handle. He would never leave the band because of that though, he would bear with it for the sake of his friends. His thoughts turned back to Ash, she was unlike anyone that he had ever met before. And if she was as bad as Nala and Mylo wanted him to believe, then why did he feel so attracted to her. He sighed deeply as he let his feet wonder in no particular direction. All he wanted to do right then was to go home and lie in his comfy bed, all warm and toasty, and forget about everything. Except maybe Ash…

Renzo was so deep in his thoughts that he didn’t notice someone approaching him until there was a sudden bump which sent the other person sprawling.

“Oh! I’m so sorry miss! Here let me help you…” He bent down to help the woman up and came face to face with Ash. He stared at her, dumbstruck, still holding out his hand.

“Hey…I never thought I’d see you again, after what happened in the diner.” Ash said, a ghost of a smile forming on her lips as she took his hand firmly and gave him a firm tag so that he would help pull her up. He obliged, seeming to snap out of his daze.

“Neither did I” He said honestly. “Where are you going at this time of night?” Ash didn’t look like she wanted to tell him, the way she stared at him.

“I have to get away.” She said finally. “Someone is following me and I have to hide.” She looked scared and her eyes darted from side to side. Renzo’s mind was racing, he was warned that his life would be in danger if he was so much as seen with Ash and yet, somehow, he felt as though it wasn’t going to matter - that he was already in danger either way. Making his decision, Renzo looked her in the eyes.

“I want to help you Ash, but I don’t know if I should because I was warned not to be seen with you.” Ash stepped back a little bit, looking hurt.

“What do you mean? Who told you that?”

“Somebody I know, I just can’t tell you who.” Renzo answered while looking around nervously.

“Well if it was one of your pathetic friends then…” Ash started but Renzo cut her off in mid-sentence.

“No it wasn’t one of my ‘pathetic’ friends!” He paused, trying to regain his composure. “Look,” He said finally “I don’t know why, but I want to help you. But you have to promise that you will help me if your parents come after me.” He finished, looking worriedly over his shoulder and behind Ash.

Ash laughed derisively, making Renzo take a worried step back. Ignoring his reaction Ash grabbed his hand and pulled him into a nearby alley, making sure that they would not be seen by passers by.

“It’s not my parents you should be worried about,” She said in a low voice once she was sure that they were sufficiently concealed “it’s the one who’s after me. He’s a lot worse.” Renzo swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat and tried to speak.