Chapter 3

His grey eyes immediately flashed black as he turned his glare on me. “Do you belong to Jake?” He growled; his voice somehow managing to sound threatening while remaining soft. His expression caused my heart to wrench so painfully that I had to hold back a scream.

How could he think we’d ever cheat on him? He’s our mate, and will always be the only one we will ever love! My wolf wailed, her voice filled with hurt at the way our mate was acting. When I hadn’t responded, Alpha Logan only got angrier. “Answer me, I will not ask again!” He bellowed, making the other shifters in the field flinch.

I now felt my wolf pacing inside of me. She was still sad that he doubted us but now she was pissed off by the tone our mate had used on us. She wanted to please him but the anger was getting in the way. She finally settled on angry, a growl escaping my lips. His eyes widened a little when he heard it, obviously not expecting me to react that way. I saw Jake flash me a look that said ‘you shouldn’t have done that’ which I chose to ignore as I narrowed my eyes at my mate.

“Don’t talk to me that way.” I said, pushing myself out of his embrace, my wolf surprisingly quiet despite the fact that I was moving away from our mate.

A growl ripped past his lips, the low, sexy sound making my body react in a way it’s never reacted before. “I can speak to you whatever way I please!” He yelled, his angry tone making everyone take a step back. I mentally rolled my eyes. He’s not that intimidating! I said. He isn’t to us because he is our mate. He actually is, his wolf is very strong. My wolf purred, happy that our mate was so powerful. Even so, I could still hear the irritation she felt towards his irrational behaviour.

 I crossed my arms over my chest. “No.”

“What?!” He demanded.

“No, I don’t belong to Jake. He’s my brother.” I said, moving to go to Jake’s side of the clearing, my wolf now back to staying silent. Alpha Logan didn’t protest; though I could hear his wolf calling out to mine. I could feel her struggle as she refused him.

When I got to Jake, he immediately pushed me behind him, earning a growl from Alpha Logan. “Logan, can we proceed to the matter at hand?” He asked, his voice cautious. Alpha Logan seemed to be battling for control with his wolf as I watched his eyes flash between grey and black. Alphas were extremely possessive especially about their mates so it was definitely not easy for him to see his mate with another male, brother or not.

It didn’t take a long time for his human side to win, his eyes remaining their usual grey colour. He narrowed his eyes at Jake, obviously still irritated as he nodded, motioning for us to lead the way.

Jake wrapped an arm around my shoulder as we walked back to our house. He kept his voice low as he talked to me. “Are you alright Chels?”

I nodded. “I’m fine. Why do you ask?” I raised a brow as I voiced my question.

“It just looked like Logan was holding you very tightly. I was so worried he would go out of control and hurt you.” He admitted, his voice filled with worry. I patted his arm.

“He’s my mate Jake, he wouldn’t hurt me. You know that better than anyone else. Would you hurt your mate?”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “I wouldn’t, but Logan is not like me. He’s cruel and cold Chels, look at the way he’s treated you so far!” He said, his tone showing his obvious distaste of Alpha Logan’s behaviour.

My wolf growled at his words. “Don’t talk about him that way, Jake. He’s my mate, if you love me, respect that fact.” I said, pulling away from him.

He grasped my shoulder, earning yet another growl from Alpha Logan who was following our pack members, surrounded by his own. “Look Chels, I’m sorry. I do love you, you’re my favourite sister.” He said, flashing me a small smile. I rolled my eyes and playfully shoved him away.

“I’m your only sister, you idiot.” I said, returning his smile with one of my own.

He chuckled softly. “You’ve got a point there.” His eyes glazed over for a moment as he got a message. “Oh, by the way, I told some of the pack members to bring all your birthday gifts into your room. They also fixed your door.”

“Thanks.” I muttered right before we got out of the forest. Jake led the way to his office with Alpha Logan trailing behind him. My mate flashed me one last glance before they closed the door, separating us. I was still stuck there, staring at the door, when Dylan came up behind me.

He was covered in scratches that were no doubt a result of an altercation with Alpha Logan’s pack members as he was almost always the most peaceful member of our pack. “Hey Chels, I heard you found your mate.” He said, carelessly laying an arm around my shoulder.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” I warned, truly fearing I could risk his well being.

He raised a brow. “Why?”

“Because my mate is Alpha Logan, didn’t Jake tell you?” I said as I mimicked him, raising my brow. The moment the sentence escaped my lips, his arm flew away from me so fast I thought my shoulder had somehow managed to singe it.

“What?” He exclaimed, his eyes wide. “You mean, The Alpha Logan? Like the alpha that gets information by-” I clamped a hand over his mouth, flashing him a warning look.

“I don't want to hear it!” I choked out, allowing a small growl to escape my lips.

He held his hands up. “Sorry, it's just, um, wow, that's some mate to have.”

I crossed my arms as I nodded. “That’s why you shouldn’t even be standing this close to me.”

He gave me an incredulous look. “I’m an arm’s length away!”

“He growled at Jake, and he’s my brother. Do you really want him growling at you next?”

“Alright, I understand. No need to threaten me with your mate.” He said, taking large steps back.

My stomach rumbled and an image of a chocolate cake flashed in my mind. Before Dylan could disappear into the next room I stopped him. “Dylan, where is my birthday cake?”

He indicated the kitchen before he stepped out. I happily strolled into the kitchen and rummaged through the contents of the fridge. I found my cake, my eyebrows narrowing as I noticed a patch of missing frosting, about the size of my pinkie. "Dylan you asshole." I grumbled quietly, cutting a huge slice of deliciousness as I made a mental note to get back at him for that later, almost taking a quarter of the whole thing. After hurriedly putting it back where it belonged, I went into my room to enjoy the slice of cake on my bed.

I shovelled a giant piece of cake into my mouth as I lay on my stomach, my feet, stilettos and all, swinging back and forth above me. My eyes rolled back into my head as I savoured the chocolate goodness that was my birthday cake. The comfort food helped a little with my agitated wolf. I was grateful that she loved food as much as I did.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed the already darkening sky. I loved studying the different shades of reds, oranges and yellows that streaked the sky at twilight everyday. After a while, my wolf was finally calm and curled up inside me. When I was halfway through my piece, my newly fixed door once again flew open.