15. Expecto Patronum

'When you Fight monsters, it's at the risk

of becoming one Yourself.'

The next morning Hermione got dressed and followed her fellow Ravenclaw friend, Penelope, down to the Great Hall. Christmas was coming, therefore the decorations had already been made; fake snow poured from the bewitched ceiling, falling neatly at the tables or student's heads, causing several groans and some flus, now and then; four beautifully decorated Christmas trees stood facing the walls, one for each house, and a bigger one by the professor's big table;

"Christmas decorations look lovely this year, las yea-" Penelope began, but was interrupted by Cepheus, who had been reading the front page of the Daily Prophet with a furrowed brow. "Look, what's on the Prophet, Hermione!" He handed her the wizarding newspaper, and she eagerly scanned the front page.

'Emeric the Evil at the loose', read the title.

The exceptionally aggressive wizard, Emeric the Evil, has managed to escape Azkaban grounds. The once master of the Elder Wand, -most powerful wand of all time – was captured and imprisoned for terrorising the South. Emeric was sentenced to the Dementor's kiss that was due today but escaped. He was last seen in Great Britain, Scotland, close to the school grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, whose Headmaster, Armando Dippet, has agreed to keep some Dementors around the school in a protective manner, in case the dark wizard attempts to penetrate the castle walls. (...)

"Attention," a subtle, yet fierce voice sounded from the podium where the Headmaster stood, gazing at the confused students. "I would like to give you all a few words." Everyone shifted in their seats, looking at the Headmaster silently; the only sound that could be heard was the rain outside, tapping against the windows as it fell with immense force. Hermione sat in between a worried Penelope and a slightly disturbed Cepheus, mimicking everyone's actions and staring fixedly at the old man.

"Many of you have probably heard that a dark wizard has escaped Azkaban, the wizarding prison," he began. Several gasps and murmurs were followed, changing the quiet atmosphere in a heartbeat. When the students calmed down, Dippet nodded his head and continued to explain. "It was asked by the Ministry that I would allow Dementors to keep a watch on Hogwarts grounds, and I would like to warn you all to not approach any of those creatures, for they are dangerous and unforgivable."

"Sir, what are dementors?" Septimus Weasley asked, shifting uncomfortably in his Gryffindor robes.

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth." Dippet began. "They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, and they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself... soulless and evil. You will be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."

"Sir, the Prophet said he was condemned to a Dementor's kiss?" Gary Garrotte, a 3rd year Hufflepuff student asked.

"Ah yes, the famous kiss..." Dippet mumbled slightly disturbed. "Do not let yourself get mistaken by the name, boy...Such act has nothing to do with affect... The Dementor's Kiss is the act of a Dementor sucking out a person's soul. It is sometimes used as a sentence for criminals by the Ministry of Magic, and is considered a fate worse than death. Your soul no longer exists...forever lost. "

Everyone looked around with terrified looks on their faces; Hermione caught Riddle's glare and they stared at each other intently, until he broke it, glaring out the window at the hooded creatures surrounding the castle.