Chapter 1 - Michelle

Nobody paid much attention to the young woman walking swiftly up the steps of Abbey Road Studios. Pushing open the wooden door, and found herself  in familiar surroundings. Close to the door was a small reception desk and, after speaking  quietly to the woman behind the counter, she continued her journey. She reached a polished wood door and, spotting a red light on above it, opened it silently then tiptoed in. There, in front of her, was a panel of dials and sliders of a recording studio control panel. Random rifts of music and conversation could be heard from the studio below. The familiar comforting sounds of people trying make a decision made her smile. By the control panel were three men, turning dials and talking quietly. The man in the centre of the three was older, about fifty, with grey hair. Turning, he saw the young woman. His delight was obvious - and as he jumped up to hug her. The sounds from the studio stopped and the musicians looked with interest at the scene unfolding before them. A wolf whistle caused the two to move apart, the man laughing

"Watch it lads!" he chuckled.

The wolf whistler spoke this time, revealing a broad Liverpool accent and a sharp wit.

"Where've you kept this beauty hidden then George? She's a cracker!"

The woman blushed and stepped from view as George Martin laughed.

"Tea break lads? Then introductions?"

Just a few minutes later she found herself sat with four musicians and George Martin in a small cafeteria area. The band, waiting for their usual order of copious amounts of tea and toast, created a noisy banter between three of the four musicians. The fourth sat opposite her, quiet but smiling. She found herself looking around for George Martin, who was on his way back from the counter. He came to her rescue, putting his arm around her shoulders and then addressed the four musicians.

"Right lads, I'd like to introduce you to my daughter. This is Michelle."

The news was received with surprise. Then the quiet member spoke. "I didn't know you had a daughter George!

Michelle smiled. "Technically I'm not his daughter," she said softly, "George was my legal guardian when I was younger. He's always been like a dad to me."

"And Michelle has always been like a daughter." George announced hugging her again. "Anyway, what are you doing here? I didn't know you were due home. Is Ian with you? How long are you staying? He turned to the men around him. "I haven't seen Michelle for nearly three years. She's been working in the states with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra."

"It's a bit of a whim visit, to be honest George, but I'm not sure for how long I'm staying. I am on my own though."

The conversation was interrupted by the arrival of the tea and toast.

The quiet member of the band asked her if she wanted a drink then poured her one from the large teapot. Having heard three of the men  speak, Michelle guessed they were all from Liverpool. She drank her tea quietly as George Martin and the young men talked about the music they had been working on. She was intrigued by the descriptions and the natural way two of the men broke into song. She found herself tapping her toes in time to the music and soaking up the mood. George saw her and smiled.

"Lovely melody isn't it? They're a very talented lot that I have the joy of trying to organise and produce their music!" He looked around at the four young men and grinned, "Just don't tell them I said that or they'll be even more unbearable!"

The men laughed.

"John Lennon," the first noisy man said to her, bowing graciously and offering her his hand

Michelle smiled and shook his hand.

"And this is George Harrison, that's Ringo Starr, and that" he said pointing to the quieter member of the group, "is Paul McCartney. What's up Macca, you're not usually this quiet?"