Chapter Eleven: The Early Bird Catches The Shoe

"Ms. King, this is Matthew Carter, Mayor of Maryville. How are you this fine afternoon?"

"I'm fine, Sir, thank you for asking. I hope you, too, are doing well." I try my hardest to contain my breathing, keeping it steady since my lungs sting from my sprint-race with Sebastian.

I lift myself off of him and he quickly gets up and adjusts his shirt, which is already damp with sweat. His eyes bore into me, but I give him a big smile in return that sets him off.

"I am, I am, thank you. I'm just calling in regards to our lovely county fair that kicks off tomorrow. We're aware of Sebastian's presence here in Tennessee, and would love for him to attend the opening festivities."

"Why, Sebastian would love to go," I respond. Sebastian's face says otherwise.

"Splendid! Splendid! We are all looking forward to it. I expect to see that young man and his lovely team here tomorrow."

"Certainly, Mr. Carter, we will definitely be there."

With one friendly goodbye, I hang up the phone and place it gently in Lucas's hand. He looks at me, then Sebastian, then me again with befuddlement in his eyes.

"What...what just happened?" He asks, pointing at us.

"We just got Sebastian's first 'gig' to redemption!" I exclaim excitedly. "Did Mr. Carter call you first?"

Lucas nods, "Yes, yes he did. He told me that he would like to speak to Sebastian's Press Representative about him making an appearance at the fair."

"Perfect, perfect. That means they definitely want you there if they're willing to dig some deep dirt to find out that you're here. They also know that you being at the fair will bring a considerable amount of publicity to their county," I frown at Sebastian. "Good publicity."

"It's not like I have a say in any of this anyway," he sits on the leather couch and sighs, wiping the sweat off of his forehead.

"Exactly. So, I'm going to have to put a statement together about the fair, get the word out. I'll call Darcy so she can help me orchestrate it-"

"Hold on to your flapping gums, princess," Sarah says from the other end of the library. "I think we need to fix this problem before we can move onto the next one."

I'm confused about what Sarah means, and a little offended that she thinks I'm a "gum-flapper," until I see her standing in front of the television staring at it intently with the remote under her arm. My heart beats faster when I see who is on the screen.

Wendy Williams. Great.

Sebastian, to my surprise or actually not to my surprise, is interested in what Sarah is talking about.

"Play it," he tells her, crossing his arms over his chest.

Sarah presses the "play" button on the remote, and we all watch with bated breath.

Fortunately, Wendy is already situated in her chair, so we don't have to endure the annoying over-enthusiasm of the audience's clapping and yelling.

The corner of her lips are pulled up in a small, almost non-distinguishable smile. And the audience becomes quiet.

"This man has quickly become my favorite 'Hot Topic,'" she finally says with a gradual laugh that the crowd soon mimics.

"Everyone," she resumes, "who do you think I'm talking about?"

"Sebastian Harrison!" they yell in response.

"You all know me so well," Wendy giggles.

I look over at Sebastian and find him with his eyebrow raised at the screen, like he's waiting to laugh or mock whatever Wendy is going to say.