Chapter Forty-Four ۞ The Talk

Valeriana's scream bounced on the walls in a series of echoes. With eyes glimmering like a bull on a red flag, she charged at the Court Leader as fast as her legs could take her. Aeron seemed sweaty at the sight of her but scrammed to run as he realized what sort of trouble he had gotten himself into.

Headmaster Kylon helplessly massaged his forehead as a loud sigh escaped him. With the problems at hand, there were still lots of interruptions involving the 'talks'. Aeron had escaped and avoided a few more times than he could count but perhaps it was time he really did open his mouth. Even Kylon felt inquisitive about the whereabouts of the man. Despite how busy he seemed to be, he never failed to play out schemes and come to the academy. There were only a few exceptions to that--and usually they were no more than trivial things.

"It seems you have to run, old friend!" Exclaimed Lienhard, his smile reaching his ears.

"Perhaps I'll catch up with you later!" Replied Aeron, waving a brief goodbye before dashing away as swiftly as he could.

These two were so alike it was almost scary. The only difference between them was that Lord Aeron seemed more inclined to playing the schemes and directing the stage while the Grand Duke liked watching from the sidelines. No wonder they got along so well. Two peas in a pod--that exactly what they were.

"You think you can get away?!" Valeriana roared. "You said you'll answer my questions when we come back but you ran away! I'm not letting you go!"

"Oh dearest me." Aeron quickly jumped for the nearest exit which was only a few meters away.

Within a few moments, he had successfully abasqualated the vicinity, his presence like bubble disappearing in thin air.

Valeriana came rushing after him, leaving a subtle disturbance in the air in the form of a wind gust as she skidded to a sharp turn for the exit as well. Kylon eyed her wearily before turning his attention to the other members of the Circle.

"Alright, everyone." He spoke through the sound amplifier, a simple device made of green resonance stones formed into a circle with a hollow middle that projected his voice into a louder form. "Let us start with the cleanup of this place. Decide on what you'll do with the venue for the next fight tomorrow between Elfre and Raziel. I will attend to Genevieve and Zevlin's situation for now. I shall explain everything you need to and can know afterwards."

Things quickly turned a hundred and eighty, the atmosphere which bathed previously in such drama, now somewhat comical. Even so, everyone else proceeded with their assignments smoothly, allowing the distraction to pass by without turning their heads around for more than a second. Surely this day was eventful, that was an irrefutable fact. But some things were more important than a mere chase, and there was no need to pry into another's business.

Valeriana was more than determined to get her hands on the scheming, conniving man once and for all and wring out the answers from him should the need arise.

Of course, the tireless training and exercise paid off as she found her endurance a lot longer than before. The last time she got into a chase like this was a few months ago, down the streets of Boston, after a man who had stolen her bag out of nowhere. Before, she would've ended up the same, face flat on the floor.

Things were different now.

She was no longer just the Valeriana she was before.

The girl had her eyes trained on the running figure before her and followed him closely, but a sudden turn to their left led them straight into a thick crowd of people. Lord Aeron had instantly disappeared in the sea of bodies, making Valeriana's heart jump to her throat. The disappointment rising to the surface was suppressed by her through a swift grind of her teeth. The wild auras swimming in her vision made her squint and she focused on the only thing she was looking for.