Chapter 3 - Childish

This is for you glittergold_17 for giving me two amazing covers you made for this book. You are awesome, girl. They are just so beautiful. Thank you so much!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 3 - CHILDISH ~~~

        "What was that? An afternoon visit from your boyfriend?" Nigel asked coldly when our eyes met.

        "Huh?" How long was he standing there? Did he see Diego and me sitting side by side?

        He walked towards me on the swing in slow, boring paces. When he stood in front of me, his dominating height made me very uneasy. Just when you thought you could feel relief in seeing him, why did you feel the opposite thing?

        You hoped to see him, Althea, so why tense? Calm yourself down. I told myself silently.

        When I was already on the verge of calming myself, Nigel precipitously dropped his bomb right in front of me. "I can't figure out why you still seem to give in to mom's whims about us getting married when you already have a boyfriend," he stated those words as if he was really certain that Diego was my boyfriend, like there was no need for any discussion on this.

        Looking up at him, I quickly processed all his words in my brain. And that was when I started to feel tears glowing in my eyes.

        "No, you're wrong... Diego isn't my boyfriend," I said with my cracking voice.

        He's the gardener's boy! I wanted to add. It was not that I had something against servants or gardeners, it was just I meant to speak only the truth. Diego was the gardener's son and, sometimes, mommy's errand boy so it was but natural to see him goofing off the vicinity.

        "So, Diego is his name..."

        "He is not my boyfriend," I said forcibly, trying to defend myself.

        "You expect me to believe that?" he demanded. "How would I ever believe you when every time I see you, he's there too?"

        I didn't know what he was talking about. Seeing me with Diego... When was the other time that he saw me with Diego?

        Oh, no! Last night, perhaps, when he arrived? Yes, I was with Diego when his car passed by last night but it was nothing... My heart wanted to clarify things with him but, somehow, it just couldn't figure out how!

        Finally, my tears rolled down my cheeks that I had to hide my face from him by stooping it down. To control myself from sobbing, I had to grip my hands hard to the cord of the swing I was holding.