♚20. GOLD

"In my day, we didn't have self-esteem, we had self-respect, and no more of it than we had earned

"In my day, we didn't have self-esteem, we had self-respect, and no more of it than we had earned." ~Jane Haddam

                                         J o r d y n T a m e

    I'VE ALWAYS WANTED to change the world. It's been something I have been passionate about ever since I noticed the corruption in our society. And yesterday, I saw more than corruption. I saw bad blood and hatred.

   I took a breath while laying on my bed and thinking about the events of yesterday. After Coldley lashed out, he was taken away and the party pretty much dismissed itself after that. Lexis didn't speak to me for the rest of the night which was understandable. The man he had trusted to be his Beta betrayed him, and Lexis being disciplined, he had to hold the will to fight back.

    Plus, I made a risky move by calming him down in front of everyone. I assumed that everyone was much too focused on Coldley's behavior. It was still risky though, those who saw may never come to the conclusion that I am his mate but that didn't mean we were safe.

   Lisa and I made sure to bring Brooke safely back to her room so she could sleep. I caught Samia in a flirtatious conversation with Able and I couldn't help but smile. It was good to see him happy even though we didn't talk quite much.

   I knew that yesterday was the rehearsal and today is the real thing. Today was Alpha Lexis' 26th birthday. I sigh before getting up and walking over to the mirror. While putting my hair into a bun, I heard a knock on my door.

"It's open," I say not even turning my head.

   I heard the door open before I see Lexis' tall figure through the mirror. I look down before feeling something cold around my neck. It was a necklace with a round, silver, scintillating diamond attached to it. I turn around to look at Lexis with confused eyes. It was beautiful but why was he giving it to me?

   Lexis took my hand in his before pulling me closer to him. "Months before my mother died, she gave me her necklace. She told me to find a woman who I believe is special and strong. She then said to give it to her." Lexis explains. "I never thought about giving this necklace to anyone. No one deserved it. You changed my mindset, Jordyn. You make me want to trust again."

My mouth twitched a little as a smile played on my lips. I touch the vibrant crystal before averting my eyes back to his. "I-I can't take this." I mutter. "Lexis your relationship with your mother was so strong and I don't think she would have-"

"Stop it." Lexis cuts me off. "I chose you because I know you have all the qualities my mother wanted the next owner of this to have."

"Lexis, I haven't even gotten the chance to show you all of me yet. There are sides of me you haven't seen. I just believe it's too soon for this." I explain to him.