Chapter 24

I awoke to a weak light coming through a crack between the damp walls of the room I was being held in. I had shouted until my throat was hoarse but no one had come. Either no one had heard me, or no one wanted to help. Either way I was trapped in the one place that no one would think to look for me. I stared down at the dull grey clothing that draped loosely off my petite frame. My mind flickered to Eric. Where was he?
I sat on the mattress on the floor, listening to the muffled sounds of Abnegation as the passed above me, going about their daily lives. Blissfully unaware of what was happening to our world.
Suddenly, the door flung open and I squinted, blinking fast to try to make my eyes adjust to the bright light coming down the staircase.

"Food Miss Kane...to keep your strength up"
I looked up to the person who had entered the room. I didn't recognise them. But they were Abnegation, I could tell that by their dress.
"Why are you doing this? What am I doing here?" I asked quietly. I had all but lost my fight
"This is what we were instructed to do Aria. We were told to keep you hidden."
"by who?! Who gave you that instruction?!"
"Eric did Miss....He told us to not let you out no matter what."

My heart sank. Eric did this?! He was in on this?! How could he tell them to do this?
My face must have shown my internal thoughts because the young man who had brought my tray of bread and water looked down at me with sympathy. He said nothing more though as he turned and left the room, locking the door behind him.

Days passed with no word of what was happening. The young boy, who's name turned out to be James, would bring me food and drink and tell me what was happening. He explained that Eric had sent word from Erudite that he had infiltrated the team of scientists working on the serum and had managed to sabotage it. Ruining the formula meant that no more could be harmed. But Marcus and Andrew were still awaiting confirmation to go ahead with distributing the cure amongst the Factionless who had been infected.
I remained numb.
My mind couldn't fathom how someone who supposedly loved me could have me locked away. Protection is one thing but this took it to a whole new level.
Yet another day dragged by and as normal, James came into my prison in the morning...only this time, he brought no food. he was whispering and carried a green item in his arms.
"Hurry Aria. you must hurry!!" He whispered, handing me the item.
I stood and quickly unfolded what I now realised was a cloak.
"whats happening?" I asked as I threw the cloak over my shoulders, pulling the hood over my head.
"Word has come that the cure is to be distributed...but Marcus has taken it all. I think he is heading to Erudite. He is siding with Janine!" James said as he hurried me out of the door and up the staircase.
As I came out into the light, my eyes burned with the bright light of the morning sun.
Andrew Prior stood outside the house, looking feeble and ashamed.
"I am sorry for what has passed Miss Kane, but we haven't time to dwell...."

"Oh but we have all the time in the world dear Andrew!" came a shrill voice behind us.
No....
I turned to confirm my worst fears. Janine stood beside a very smug looking Marcus Eaton and copious numbers of armed guards.
"What are you doing here Janine?" Andrew said through gritted teeth.
"Oh, the same as you. Trying to stop a rogue part of our culture." She laughed, her voice patronising.
"What do you want? We have nothing." Andrew continued.
"But you do....Her." Her eyes fell on me and I glanced up at her. My shoulders fell and I pushed back the hood, glaring at Janine darkly.
"What do you want me for?" I said harshly.
"You, my dear, are going to be my bargaining tool for your dear little Eric."
A sarcastic laugh escaped my lips. "good luck with that. He locked me up here....he doesn't care for me. I'm of no use to you at all"
Janine's face fell slightly before she regained composure.
"Well, we will see. If not, I'll just dispose of you"
At that her guards grabbed both of my arms and dragged me towards their vans.
I could hear Andrew shouting something behind me but more guards held him back. Janine's voice filled my ears.
"Get rid of them....all of them."
"No!!! Stop this!!! You can't do this Janine!!" I cried out, kicking my legs out, desperately trying to escape yet again. My words fell on deaf ears as I was thrown roughly into the back of a van, my knees and elbows colliding with the metal painfully.
As I got back up, desperately trying to look back out all I saw was flames. The whole of Abnegation was burning, people were running, feeling.
No...this can't be happening.
But it was. And it was my fault.