Chapter 21: Defenseless

UNEDITED...

DENISE

Nakadapa pa rin si Mesh sa malapad na bato pagbalik ko. Her eyes were looking at us with boredom. Tila wala siyang balak na tuluyan kami o ituro ang tamang daan. She's not telling us the thing we should do.

"This is so boring! What shall I do?" Mesh cried while wiggling her feet in the air.

Tiningnan ko lang siya na para siyang nababaliw. She's too lazy to stand up. She's doing nothing except that she's saying that this was boring.

"Mesh, didn't you want to help us?" nag-aalangang tanong ni Ice sa kanya.

"I don't want to. Can't you see? I'm too lazy to stand up. How can I help you when I can't even help myself?" she said with boredom. Ice was secretly pissed. Napailing naman ako.

Tiningnan ko ang sampung daan na nasa kabilang parte ng ilog. I started walking towards the river and jumping on the stones so I could go to the other side.

"Wait. What are you doing, Zeus?" kunot-noong tanong ni Mesh sa 'kin. I stopped on my track and turned to her. Ngumisi ako sa kanya.

"I'm glad that you're not too lazy to talk," nang-aasar na sabi ko sa kanya. Ngumisi din siya at humalumbaba habang interesadong nakatingin sa 'kin.

"You're doing something dangerous. When you set your foot on any of that ten paths, you'll be lost," she said.

"Oh? Why is that?" nakahalukipkip na tanong ko sa kanya.

"When you set foot on any of that paths, you will disappear along with the path. Only one person can use a single path. That means, there are six paths that will lead you to the same gate. There's a chance that you will lose members if you choose the wrong path," nakangising sagot niya sa 'kin. I hissed. She's correct. I can't afford to lose any of my members. Lalo na't mas malakas na ang mga kalaban namin sa susunod na gates. I doubt if we could survive this quest unless we got reinforcements. Kung maghihiwalay kami ng landas, hindi namin mababantayan ang isa't isa.

"You did this too with Death's party?" kunot-noong tanong ko sa kanya.

"Death? Ah! That boy, he never meet me. I just gave him a question and then gave him the right direction. I know that they will not survive the next gate. But this time is different," nakangising sagot niya. "I'm giving challenges depending on how strong the players are," she added. We have no choice then.