Entry 4 - A Queen and a Knight

Bonjour, mes amis. My day today, as it seems, was chess game.

As I'm sure most of you know, in the game of chess, the most important pieces are royalty. The king may be the more important piece, but the queen has all the power. While all the other pieces are limited, the queen can go wherever and do whatever she wants.

This is what I thought about as I walked into school today with my sunglasses on, unforgiving.

Sure, in the game there are pawns.

I glanced over as the girls of the inner circle wordlessly followed after me as I walked into school.

And there are knights.

Chase was leaning against a locker as he watched me and my girls walk in. He winked at me.

But their main purpose is to serve in whatever the queen has planned. And in the game of chess, the queen's purpose was to protect her king.

Suddenly, I bumped into someone, ruining the moment.

He grabbed my shoulders to steady me. "Hey, are you okay?"

I frowned. "Andrew? What are you doing?" You're interrupting my narrating, I thought.

Penelope crossed her arms. "Claire, who is this loser?"

Gemma seemed confused. "Are you new here?"

Adrienne looked horrified. "Why haven't I heard anything yet?"

Andrew's green eyes looked back and forth at each of us and then back at me. He looked astonished. "I literally saw all you just yesterday."

They looked at me for confirmation.

I nodded. "He's not new. He's just extraordinarily talented at being invisible."

"Ouch," he replied.

I smiled. "I didn't mean it like that."

He grinned back and I remembered our conversations yesterday. Why was it so easy to talk to him now?

I noticed the girls were all still watching me. "Um, he's doing my french project for me, remember girls?"

Their mouths all formed 'o' shapes. Andrew's smile faded. "Oh, am I?"

I glanced up at him with pleading eyes.

He sighed, "Yeah. I guess I am."

Brianna and Penelope still looked hostile. Savannah narrowed her eyes suspiciously at me. I bit my lip. "Right, um, you need to move."

He smiled sarcastically and took a dramatic step out of our way. Savannah shoved past him once we started walking again.

Brianna glared at me. "What was that?"

"What?" I asked wide eyed.

"Um, he challenged you. And you let him."

"It was so disrespectful," Penelope agreed.

I stopped in my tracks. "Excuse me? Are you questioning my authority?"

They all stopped as well, turning in front of me and crossing their arms.

I clenched my jaw. "The only people that are challenging me are all of you."

Adrienne and Savannah gave me defiant looks. The rest of them didn't relent.

I shut my eyes for a brief moment. "Fine. We'll punish him."

I surprisingly didn't want to punish Andrew. He seemed like he was nice enough, and unusually genuine. For some reason, I wanted him to like me.