Chapter 55

Channel 4. 10 PM. Watch with S, OK?

    I read the text from Richard five times, wondering what had prompted him to send me those brief instructions, though I didn't bother messaging him back to find out. Pocketing my phone, I glanced at Sophie from where I sat on the couch. She'd really gotten into her home improvement and stood humming happily to herself while she dragged a paint roller along the walls with broad, sweeping strokes. The intense look of concentration on her face made it seem like she'd become mesmerized by the repetitive task and I continued to watch her for a while, mentally replaying my meeting with Richard the night before.

At two minutes to ten, I reached for the remote.

    "Hey, Soph?"

    She didn't turn around. "Hm?"

    "Do you mind if I put something else on?" I asked, already scrolling through the on-screen channel guide.

    "Whatever you want, baby," Sophie replied offhandedly. Tugging on her ponytail, she stepped back to survey her work before dipping her roller into a shallow plastic tray filled with paint.

    "Thanks," I mumbled.

    For the first twenty minutes of the program, I couldn't figure out why Richard had asked me to put on Bobby Robertson's late night talk show. Filled with overused jokes, the only enjoyable part of the host's routine was the live interview segment near the end. To his credit, Robertson's unscripted banter with the celebrities who came on his show was usually pretty funny and his high ratings reflected that.

    Rather than fading, my confusion continued to mount when the studio audience erupted in cheers as Richard crossed the stage, shaking Bobby Robertson's hand before sitting down. The two men chatted easily for a few minutes until Bobby leaned across his desk with a concerned expression on his face.

    "So," the host began, stroking his chin, "I've got to ask. What's Sophie Winters like behind the scenes?"

    "Ah." Richard threw his hands up in the air and shrugged. "You know, she's -- she's an interesting girl. Even though we dated for years when we were younger, she still surprises me with things I didn't know about her. There's never a dull moment with Sophie, that's for sure."

    Bobby raised an eyebrow. "And, how would you describe your relationship with her at the moment?"

    "I'd like to be her friend," Richard replied simply, and Bobby gave a small gasp.

    "Friend? Well, this is... Unexpected. I'm guessing that means you two aren't together at the moment?"

    Richard nodded. "That's right."

    "What a shame." Bobby Robertson looked like he was struggling to contain his glee. He licked his bottom lip to wipe away a grin. "What drove you apart? Busy schedules? Or, and forgive me for asking, did it have something to do with the rumors of Sophie cheating?"

    Richard's expression turned thoughtful. After a beat, he smiled. "Do you know what Sophie's best qualities are?" Bobby shook his head and Richard continued, "She's the most honest person you'll ever meet, and incredibly loyal. She's always looked out for me."

    "But--"

    "The same can't be said for me, unfortunately," Richard lamented. "I've been pretty terrible to her."

    "How so?"

    "Why are you watching this?" Sophie demanded, causing me to jump when appeared next to me on the couch. She frowned at the TV and then leaned over my lap to grab the remote.