Him and Me- Six.

If alarm clocks were living, breathing creatures, I’d probably be in jail for killing one.

Like most high schoolers, I had to drag myself out of bed Monday morning. The rest of my weekend was great, I guess, but not of epic proportions. I did not go out of the house and did what I told Kyle I would be doing: pig out and watch HIMYM marathons with my mom. Oh yeah, Tyler went over Saturday and I ordered him his large pepperoni pizza. I was not the one to break promises, after all.

Fortunately, I did not have a run in with Colby Mariano over the weekend. It was also a blessing that Susan did not need me to babysit because frankly, as much as I love her son, I could not promise her that I would not rip every hair out of her precious nephew’s head.

Now that it was Monday (again!) though, I had no choice. I would have to face Colby again in chemistry class. Why did I have to have that organism in my first period class? It felt like every little prank I did on Matty was coming back to haunt me, in the form of Colby. I groaned loudly as I made my way to my bathroom. Why did the weekend have to be so short?

As I stood below the hot shower, eyes closed, water pounding on my back, I couldn’t help but feel a slight disappointment. Colby Mariano’s looks were definitely wasted on his personality. Why couldn’t nice guys be gorgeous? My eyes snapped open. Well, there was Kyle. I guess he was an exception. Sure, Colby’s better looking, but Kyle’s so much more pleasant to be around with. Tyler must’ve been high when he said Kyle wasn’t a nice guy.

Why was I comparing them anyway? I sighed, shaking the weird thoughts out of my brain, and hurried to finish my shower. I towel-dried my hair, got dressed, grabbed my bag and jacket, and was out my door. I didn’t bother with make-up. I didn’t really like it anyway. For me, make up equals Chapstick. Plus, it was a pain in the butt to put on, and an even bigger pain in the butt to wash off. I gathered my still slightly wet hair up into a ponytail as I jog down the stairs.

The sound of my mother’s laughter echoed throughout the hall, and I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. It was either we had a visitor at 7:30am, or my mom had gone mental. Dropping my bag on the floor of the hallway, I made my way to the kitchen.

I pushed the door to the kitchen and found Tyler sitting on one of the stools, a big smile on his face. My mom was still laughing while flipping pancakes. Okay, I did not expect that Tyler would be here so early. And I didn’t expect that he would be spending time in my kitchen before going to school. I thought he would be like any normal guy: come by the house, blow his car horn impatiently, wait until I get on his car, and we would go to school. Clearly, my assumptions were not correct. I walked over to where Tyler was sitting and poked his shoulder. He twisted around on his seat, almost falling off in the process. That made me snicker, earning a glare from Ty.

My mom finally stopped laughing and was now loading pancakes onto a plate. “Morning mom,” I said as I plopped down on a stool next to Tyler. 

“Morning, honey,” my mom replied. She proceeded to place the plate of pancakes in the island in front of us before walking back to the stove to prepare some more. I guess she thought five pancakes would not do it for me and Tyler. She had it right, because I am calling dibs on three pancakes, and I was sure two wouldn’t even get pass Tyler’s esophagus.

Shooting Tyler a sideways stare, I heaped up three pancake pieces on the plate that was already laid in front of me. “What are you doing here?” I asked.

Tyler propped his elbows up on the island and cradled his chin on his hands. He rolled his eyes while replying, “Well good morning to you too, Kayla,” he said sarcastically. “I’m your ride, remember?” He then noticed that three pancakes were already on my plate, and his eyes grew wide in disbelief. “Hey, I should have three pancakes!” He exclaimed in his oh-so-dramatic Tyler fashion.