Febuary 20, 2000

Dear Abby,

It feels stupid writing to you when I could just go talk to you, but how are you? You haven't been talking to Tyler and me lately? Are you okay? I just wanted to make sure everything is okay at home. I heard that you dont pay much attention to things in class anymore? Please do well in school because Tyler and I are concerned.
I've been doing great. My mom brings me to music stores to play drums and they say I'm getting really good. My mom also asked me if I liked anyone and I told her about Avery. Avery is really nice and she makes me hold her hand and carry her stuff but I guess it makes me look nice which makes her look nice. We walked around the park the other day and she made me get her flowers.
Shes kinda boring because I dont get to do what I want but she said that making her happy should make me happy if I really like her, so I followed her advice. Tyler doesn't know about girls more than me so he didnt tell me not to.
I miss hanging out with you because you listen to me like Im really smart even if Im not and you take our advice properly and your like one of my best friends.
- JWD

I ran my fingers over the crumpled paper, waiting for Sam to finish packing his things. Of course, I remember that day, because that's when I started the phase everyone goes through. "The Emo Phase." I cringe at the thought, remembering when I begged my mom to let me get a fringe, and skinny jeans. I listened to all the good music, and began to read a ton of books. That's when I fell in love with reading.
I remember that it was during lunch, and I was talking to my friend, Sandy, when Tyler walked up to me and handed me the letter, smiling and ruffling my hair, to which I rolled my eyes at, because it made me feel cool. Sandy and I read the letter together, because she was my new friend who knew about boys and such, being really kind and pretty.
As soon as I saw Avery's name, I crumpled the paper immediately, and threw it in the trash, heading for the bathroom.
I don't know if I cried or just sat there alone, but I remember no one went after me. Not Sandy, and no Josh or Tyler knocking at the door.
And the next day, at lunch, again, I was sitting next to Sandy, again, and we were discussing our Science project, when two trays were placed in front of us.
Tyler and Josh, who greeted both Sandy and I, where I tried to get up, and leave, but Sandy had hooked her leg around mine.
"How are you guys?" Josh asked, casually.
"Okay," I mumbled, a sudden heat rising to my cheeks.
"I'm okay," Sandy nodded. "But, I think I have to go."
And she left me, and I felt really embarrassed, and I wanted to cry, because these guys I cut out from my life were talking to me. Being eleven and cutting people out of your life is not easy.
"Josh, you should tell her about what happened last night," Tyler said.
I looked up at Josh, and he nodded.
"Yeah, I told my sister all about Avery, and she said that I shouldn't be around people like her, because those girls are attention seekers, so I told her I didn't want to go with her anymore," he said, and then took in a deep breath. "And she told me you're a better friend than Avery."
"I am?" I asked, poking at my food.

And that day was one of the good days, because it was Josh, Tyler, and I again. The golden trio. Us against the world. Josh and Tyler weren't very middle school standard popular, but neither was I. And I remember, that for a years it was all smooth sailing, my parents let me watch movies with them, and go to the park, and everything.

My door creaked open, and I slid the folder under my mattress, looking over my shoulder. Sam was there, with a duffel slung around his shoulder, leaning against the doorframe.
"Ready to go see Twenty One Pilots?" He asked.
"You know it," I nodded.

-

Heyyo, I'm sorry this is so short, I've been busy with school, and student council meetings, and my class's performance thing for an event our school held. Good news is, I won four academic awards, and my class won a performance award, so I'll be having more free time now, bad news is, I'll have to work twice as hard because it's our second quarter, and I'm applying for colleges next year, so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update this. Sorry, and ilysm guys~