9 // Jacket

I pick out the books from my locker for the next classes, when I'm surprised by somebody squeezing my waist into a hug from behind.

"Mornin' ", Natalie grins into the thin fabric of my shirt and lets go so I could turn around to face her and see A'dre standing beside her as usual.

"Sup 'dre", I salute to him, two fingers to my forehead. He salutes back. Our daily greeting.

A'dre and Natalie's relationship were of an elderly couple.
Together as a couple since 7th grade.
Best friends from 4th.

It was a shock for everyone to find out they were together, mostly due to the 'slight' difference in their personalities:
Natalie - the spontaneous girl, crazy about getting into all of her brains creativity for arts and crafts.
And A'dre - often labeled as the 'mysterious boy' or 'the quiet but kinda cute kid', with a passion for poetry and literature.

Somehow it worked, and they've stuck close to each other like magnets for the majority of the day, or what seemed like an eternity.

"Where did you run off on Friday?", she pouts with hands on her waist, "Kandy convinced herself you were getting gang raped somewhere on the streets or you secretly ran off to Canada."

I burst out laughing, "What did she have to drink?"

"Like five shots of some crappy 'whipped cream' flavored vodka, maybe even six, but hey, that's not the point."

My laugh fades and I take hold of her hand since she liked it when I did that.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't find any of you guys in the crowd, so I decided to go home."

She opens her mouth to say something when A'dre wraps his arm around her waist and nuzzles his forehead into the crook of her neck. She blushes at me and sighed in defeat.

Well, that was one way to calm her.

With A'dre still on her neck, she points a strict finger at me, "You promise that no old perv did anything nasty to you on your way home?"

"I swear."

On cue, the morning bell rings.

"Shit", she links her arms with mine and A'dre's, swapping her frown to one of the sneakiest grins I've seen, "Let's go before we get yelled at again."

We speed walk into our class and make our way to the two tables in the back corner of the room. I save the spot next to me for Kandy, even though she was probably late as ever, facing A'dre and Natalie backs in front of me.

By the time our teacher walked in, I had changed Damon's name in my phone contacts from 'probably a rapist' to '🍑' because it made me laugh to have a peach ass call me from time to time.

"Okay my favorite class ever, sit back down and listen up", the heavy sarcasm in Ms. Emma's tone catches everyone's attention, "I have some exciting news."

"You're pregnant?", one guy yells out.

"No. Shut up", she points back, "We've got a new student", the class 'ooh's and whistles, "But hey, he's a little bit older than most of you, so please don't be shy to talk to him, okay? It's just as exciting for him as it is for you."