Part18.

"I want my fiancée." I demanded, trying to keep my calm. I stared into the detectives eyes, my jaw clenched and my hands curled into a fist.
"No, you're not getting your little fiancée. Does she know you like kidnapping little girls? I know about your father, Annamarie. Had him in this exact room, you know that?" He asked, a smug look in his face. I resisted the urge to jump up and slap him, knowing there's a slight possibility I will get shot. Fucking police officers.
"Maybe your little femme fatale should know that you're starting to replay your history. Do you touch Dana? The same way he did to you?....I've always hated lesbians." He smirked.
"I will tell you once more, and I will not repeat myself, again. I didn't kidnap her. My fiancée and I originally met her at a motel. She was working there because her foster mother was neglecting her. So we took her in, she got bathed, we fed her and gave her our numbers and address just in case she needed anything. About five months ago she showed up at our door step saying her Foster mother put her out. Were we just supposed to leave her out there? And I will NEVER ever touch someone that isn't my fiancée. Never. Let alone a child. What kind of bullshit is that? You saying that wasn't even necessary." I growled, slowly losing my temper. He chuckled.
"Want to know something?" He asked. I didn't answer, just glared at him. He leaned down and came close to my ear.
"I used to work with your father. I was his best friend. I got him one of the best lawyers and all, and I was disgusted with what he did to you. But as I look at you, analyze you. You are one beautiful woman. Masculine. The spitting image of him. You realize that? You'll always be the little Nubian princess in the pictures that he showed me." I flinched as his fingers touched my back.
"Don't touch me." I whispered, feeling my body shake.
"Yo, I said get the fuck off." I screamed. The bell rang, telling him to get out the room.
"I'll come back for you." He whispered, before leaving the room. Two other people, a tall white woman and an acs worker walked in.
"We're sorry, Ms. Vargas. It seems as though all your stories, including Dana's match. On behalf of New York State, we apologize for the inconvenience. But, we will have to put her back into the foster care system." The tall woman, advised. Tears welled into my eyes as I stared down at the table.
"Is there another way?" I asked, trying to hold in the breakdown that's building up.
"Well... Yes." The acs worker, answered. My head shot up, tears streaming down my face.
"I have a set of papers that you can sign for her to become your legal foster child, and then later you can file for adoption." As she said that, I started to cry. I can't lose my Dana. I can't. I've grown a bond with her and she's just so amazing. Like a little sister. Like a daughter. She's everything that I wasn't as a child. And I will not let anyone ruin that for her. I started to nod rapidly.
"Yes, yes I will sign them. When will she be able to come back home?" I asked. She started pulling the papers out her brief case and sat it down on the metal table.
"Since you're signing them now, in about a month or two. Would you like us to bring your fiancée in here?" The tall woman asked. I nodded. I looked over the paperwork. Nothing too difficult.
"Anna?" I heard the soft voice of my fiancée. I shot up, wrapping my arms around her.
"Are you okay?" I asked her, touching her face. She nodded and tears flooded in my eyes as I looked down. The door opened again and I pulled away, wiping my face. The Acs worker explained everything we had to know as we read over the paperwork. After we signed everything, we were able to see Dana. She tackled me and wrapped her arms around both of us.
"They're gonna put me back in there. I don't want to go." She cried.
"I know I know, but it will be okay. We're coming back for you. You're gonna be able to live with us, okay?" I asked as I squatted down to look face to face with her. I moved her hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear.
"You signed papers?" She asked, tears in her large eyes. I nodded.
"You're gonna be okay. We're coming back for you alright?" I told her. She nodded and I pulled her into my chest.
"I love you, little girl." I sighed.
"I love you too. All of you." She looked up at Kathleen and touched her stomach. Kathleen smiled, grasping Dana's hand. We walked her outside, toward the car that they'll be putting her in. I kissed her forehead, my eyes fluttering closed. I pulled away and Kate wrapped her arms around the little girl. As they took her away, I felt myself become more and more exhausted. The tall woman, forgetting her name, gave us a ride home. We walked inside, the cool air from the A/c hitting us. It was dark, besides the light that was coming from the windows. I walked upstairs, nothing but the sound of my large footsteps echoing in the house. I closed the guest room door and walked into my room, kicking off the prison shoes they gave me and crawled under my covers.
I'll come back for you.
Those words echoed in my head in the menacing voice of that detective. He had pictures of me? As in child pornography?
"Oh god." I groaned, running toward the bathroom as I felt the bile travel up my throat. I gagged into the toilet, images of him in my head. I started to cry and rock back and fourth as I felt Kathleen's arms wrap around me. I tried locking them out. The memories. The feelings. I need to be strong for my family. I exhaled, breathing in and out slowly as Kate blew air into my face.
"Sh, sh. Breathe. In and out." She moved my hair out my face, her small hands on each side of my figure.
"I-I can't breathe." I yelled, hyperventilating. She stood, turning on the shower.
"Stand up. Please." She demanded. I tried standing up, the panic attack blurring my vision as my body trembled with adrenaline. I sat down in the tub, the cold water slipping down my body, soaking my hair and my clothes. My teeth trembled and my hands shook.
"Breathe in and out. In and out." She whispered. I obeyed, feeling my heart rate start to slow down.
"I-I'm sorry." I hiccuped, starting to cry again. I heaved and sobbed. I hate having panic attacks. My thoughts keep repeating as my head pounded with a migraine.
Kate helped me stand up and started to take off my clothes. I continued to cry, standing stiff as she worked around me. After I was completely naked, she started to take her clothes off as well, her baby bump sitting in between us. The water started to warm up and she started to soap my body, massaging where she could reach.
"Bend down." She demanded. I obeyed, closing my eyes as I felt her fingers washing my hair and my face. She started to wash herself off and I just stood with my head down. We finished showering and I walked in my room, slipping into my clothes and laying into bed. I dosed off, and woke to Kathleen talking on the phone.
"Yeah, she's asleep now. I'm sorry for calling so late, I just thought you should know....No, I'm okay. Thank you. I'll speak to you later, goodbye." She hung up the phone and looked over at me.
"Hey, how are you feelin'?" She asked, touching my face. I smiled, sitting up.
"I'm okay. How are you?" I asked her.
"I'm okay. Baby boy keeps kicking." She sighed, rubbing her stomach.
"Who were you on the phone with?" I asked as I rubbed her stomach.
"David. You had a few missed calls from him, so I called back and told him you won't be in. I also called out." She answered. I nodded.
"I'm sorry. About before." I apologized.
"Don't apologize. I just want to know what triggered it. You haven't had one of those in a long time." I shrugged.
"Don't want to talk about it." I whispered.
"Please do. I don't want you to shut down again." She pleaded. I sighed and told her everything the detective told me. She became heated, her face red.
"We should report him." She growled. I shook my head.
"No, just relax. Please. I don't need you to be stressing over this." I pleaded, feeling my face heat up as I put my hands on each side of her face.
"And why not? That's fucking sick, Anna." She yelled, pulling my hands off her.
"I just don't want you getting into this, just in case something happens, okay? I don't want you or Salix OR Dana hurt. Just leave it alone." I argued back. She seemed ambivalent, but nodded.
"Alright, fine." She sighed. I laid back down, closing my eyes and exhaling.
"What time is it?" I asked.
"After one." She replied. I stood up, walking toward the door.
"Where you going?" Kate asked, crawling to the end of the bed.
"To make a sandwich." I replied, pushing my eyebrows together. She held out her hand and I walked over, helping her off the bed.
"I'm guessing you want one too..." I trailed, hearing her light laughter.
"Of course.."
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
One month. It's been a month after that bullshit and I am a fucking mess. I've stopped sleeping, again. My mood swings are outrageous. Kathleen says I've gone manic, but I don't feel anything.
"Has anyone seen my brief case?" I asked loudly as I searched around my cubical. I felt myself grow really irritated. I huffed, looking under my chair. I would really like to get home. My fiancée is sitting downstairs waiting for me and I'm here waisting time because I've decided to misplace my fucking brief case.
"Has anyone seen my brief case?" I asked even louder as I looked around. They all stared and I became angry. I felt my hands start to shake and I groaned loudly, gripping the table.
"Ahhhh." I exhaled, trying to calm down. I took off my vest and looked around.
"No ones gonna answer?" I yelled. One clam raised his hand.
"I think saw it in the conference room." He answered. I grinned at him and he flinched. Full on manic grin that a murderer would wear. Like my father.
"Why...didn't you answer the first time?" I asked, feeling my breathing become erratic as I stormed toward him. He shrunk back as I hovered over him, the smile still on my face. I laughed and stepped closer.
"I asked you a question." I stated, too calmly.
"I-I uh.." I cut him off before he can finish.
"What?! You can't speak?! You just stated something before. Do you want me to rip out your Adam's apple and make sure it's in tact for you, because I will!" I yelled, slamming my hand on the table next to him, causing everyone to jump.
"Anna." I heard my boss's voice as his hand touched my shoulder. I turned around smoothly, putting a smile on my face.
"Hey, bossman. How you doin'?" I smirked at him. He looked me in the eye and I wiggled my eyebrows.
"Like what you see, boss?" I asked. He looked concerned.
"Here. You left it in my office. Go home and get some sleep, okay? You look exhausted." He whispered as he handed me my brief case. I nodded, looking down at the floor.
"Yeah. Yeah I can do that." I nodded rapidly as I walked away. I heard the elevator open and saw Kathleen wobbling toward me.
"You were taking too long. I was gonna call but.." She stopped talking as the lights shut off.
"What the fuck?!" I heard someone yell. I heard something hissing and I grabbed Kathleen as someone screamed.
"Everybody get down! Now!" I heard a deep voice yell. Kathleen whimpered as we heard some people scream. We got down, and I held Kathleen as my breathing escalated. I blinked, shaking my head.
"No. I mean." I hyperventilated. Fuck. A panic attack.
"Sh. Sh. Breathe." Kathleen whispered.
"Where the fuck is she, Celeste?!" I heard an unfamiliar voice, call out. Fuck fuck fuck fuck. Kathleen gripped my hand.
"Her cubical is here." I saw the flashlight shine on my work area and I bit my lip.
"You both better find her or I'm not paying you." I heard the most familiar voice... The DETECTIVE. I felt myself grow nauseous but I held it in. I kicked off my heels and slowly out them in a corner so no one would here. I looked at Kathleen and put my finger up to my mouth, motioning for her to be quiet. I took off her shoes and put them in the corner as well. I pointed to the direction we're gonna go and I pushed her gently in front of me. We started to crawl when I heard the detective start to speak again.
"She's here. I know she is. Annamarie?! Come out, sweetie." He called. I clenched my jaw and continued crawling, when I heard Kathleen take in a sharp inhale of breath.
"What? What is it?" I whispered. She moaned quietly, holding her stomach.
"False contractions are a bitch." She hissed. I heard footsteps and I panicked, pulling Kate into the restroom. We hid in the corner and I covered her mouth, gripping her hand.
"Annamarie? We have someone that wants to meet you, sweetie pie." I heard the detective's creepy voice. I felt my son kick really hard against Kathleen's stomach and she gasped behind my hand. I heard the footsteps stop. Shit shit shit. I prayed that God watched over us right now. I prayed that the police will be here and hopefully someone was smart enough... MY PHONE. I dug into my pocket and turned it on, putting it to silent. I waited until the footsteps stared again and I texted my mom.
S.O.S. Send police to my job, now.
I kept my phone on just incase she texted back. I waited five minutes. No answer. FUCK!
"You all guard right here. Make sure NO ONE leaves the area while I search around the building." I heard him, say. I thought about all the video games I played as a child. The violent ones. All the violent movies. They have flash bombs, right? Maybe if I sneak up on one of them..
"Babe?" I whispered in her ear as I moved my hand.
"Yeah?" She replied.
"I'm going to go out there.." I started.
"NO! No!" She half whispered. I felt her tears start to drip on my hand. I nodded.
"I have to. I'll be okay. Just please, be safe. Stay here, don't let anyone move. You scream and I'll come for you." I whispered. She cried, pulling me to her.
"I love you, Annamarie." She whispered, holding my face in her hands.
"I love you more. I love you both. I'm sorry." I replied, pushing my lips against hers. I kissed her deeply, my tongue grazing hers. I pecked her lips, before standing up. Thank God for the iPhone 6 plus and learning how to fight at a young age. I opened the door, and crawled out, seeing shadows of two men standing against the wall. Shit. They have some really big guns. I stood up, my bare feet touching the cold ground and I started to run. I ran toward my desk and slid under the chair, stubbing my toe.
"Mmph." I groaned as I covered my mouth.
"Anna?" I heard David hiss. I looked around and felt a hand touch mine. I looked up and saw that he was across from me.
"Kate is in the bathroom in the west hall. I have to deal with this, okay? I texted my mom and told her to send the police here." I hissed. He nodded. I started to stand but froze as I heard the voice that I have dreaded my entire life.
"Now now Annie, didn't I teach you as a child that it wasn't polite to ignore people when they ask for you?" I heard him say from across the room. Does he see me?
"What the fuck is going on?" I heard the coworker that I yelled at hiss. I shushed him and he glared at me. Bastard.
"She's over here!" He yelled. Motherfucker!
"Who said that?" I heard my fathers voice ask. The bastard stood up and waved.
"Right here, sir. She's over here. Under the des--" he was cut short by me drop kicking him and slamming his face into the marble floor. I watched as the dark liquid splattered on the white ground. Blood. He was knocked unconscious and I started to army crawl. The manic ran in my blood and the adrenaline pumped my heart.
I slipped down the east hall and hid behind the wall as I heard voices.
"Celeste, are you sure she works here?" The detective asked.
"Yes, boy. She's the one who popped me in the lip." She whined. I chuckled lowly. Fucking bitch.
"It's okay, baby. I'm gonna get her. And then I'll deal with her, alright?" He said. She giggled, and then I heard kisses being delivered. I shuddered and turned left and squatted down.
"Annamarie!" I heard my father yell. I jumped. Him yelling still has an affect on me after all these years. I ran down the hallway and slid on my knees as I turned to go north. I stood up and started to sprint when I felt someone touch my hand. I was about to scream when I saw Kathleen.
"I thought I told you to wait in the bathroom!" I hissed.
"I couldn't lose you." She hiccuped.
"My fathers here." I whispered. She covered her mouth with her hands. I heard footsteps and I pulled her into a closet.
"They're in there!" I heard him yell.
"Shit." I hissed. The door swung open and I heard Kathleen whimper. His laugh traveled down my spine, making the hairs on my body stick up.
"Ah, my beautiful daughter and daughter in law. And my grandchild, I see?" He chuckled. I felt my hands start to shake as he pulled me away from her.
"No! Get off!" I yelled. I saw Celeste and the detective grab Kathleen. No no no.
"No!" I screamed, trying to pull away from my father. I felt something hit my head and everything went black..
I gasped, my eyes shooting open as I looked around. A pain shot through my head and I groaned into the tape that's covering my mouth. I looked around and saw that I was in the conference room, the building still dark.
"Oh fuck." I mumbled. I looked across from me and saw my very pregnant fiancée being held hostage with a gun. I started to panic.
"Well, look who's finally awake." My father chuckled, walking toward me. I glared at him and screamed as he ripped the tape off my face. I moaned in pain, my face stinging. I looked down and saw tape holding my hands down in the chair.
"Why are you doing this?" I asked.
"Well, for one. You did get me in prison, and ruined everything I've ever built. And I hate you, so.." He stated as if it was obvious.
"What have I ever done to deserve such behavior inflicted on me, dad? What did I ever do?" I yelled. He smirked, squatting in front of me. He caressed my face with his gun.
"You are so beautiful, you know that?" He whispered, his eyes a mirror image of mine. I analyzed his face. It's scary how identical we look. He's older, more masculine, but we are identical. If I was to be a boy, we would be mistaken for twins instead of parent and offspring. I looked at Kathleen and saw that she was trembling with fear, her eyes never leaving mine.
"Look at me, Annie. Not her." He boomed. I didn't listen. Boy, did I regret that. I felt his fist connect with my face and I gasped, feeling the blood trickle down my nose. He punched me again and I groaned.
"Listen to your father when he's speaking to you!" He yelled. I glared at him.
"You... Are not my father." I spat, spitting out the blood that built in my mouth.
"Really? I'm not? Should I remind you again? In front of your little slut this time?" He asked. I stiffened.
"You sick bastard." I heard Kathleen yell. My father smirked.
"Know what? I'll take that as a yes. Emmanuel, stand that bitch up." He demanded. Emmanuel stood, keeping his gun pointed at Kathleen as she followed. He pulled her over here, holding the gun to her head. Dad squatted, cutting the duck tape off my arms before pointing his gun at me.
"Up. Now." He demanded. I stayed still.
"Do as I say or I'll blow her and your child's brain out." He yelled. I stood, slowly feeling what little of my dignity I had start to leave me.
"Strip off your shirt. Now." He demanded. I felt my chin start to tremble as the tears started to well. I slowly took off my shirt, the laced bra holding up my breasts. He smirked, and so did Emmanuel.
"Do not move." He added. I obeyed, looking at Kathleen. She had tears streaming down her face. My father walked out the room, to only come back in, accompanied by both Celeste and the detective.
"Well, well. She putting on a show for us, boss?" Celeste asked, smirking at me.
"Mhm. Isn't she just beautiful?" My father asked. They all hummed in agreement.
"Lopez, are you excited to finally see what you asked for?" My father asked the detective. He nodded, licking his lips. The horror and humiliation I felt has never felt so intense.
"Strip off the rest." He demanded, pointing his gun at me. I looked at Kathleen and she looked away.
"And if I don't?" I asked, calmly. He chuckled.
"Then, I'll make you watch as I kill her and dissect your baby. Simple as that." He answered, nonchalantly. I let out a breath and stripped of my pants, to only be standing in my underwear. I let out a whimper as I felt his hands creep down my stomach.
"Don't do this." Kathleen pleaded.
"Shut the fuck up." He yelled. I exhaled a breath of air as he pulled down my underwear.
"Mm, mm, mm. I wonder if it's as tight as it was when you were younger." He laughed, menacingly. I kept my eyes shut. Think of a plan think of a plan. My eyes flashed open and I looked at Kathleen. She looked back at me and I mouthed one simple word.
'Birth.'
It took her a few seconds to understand and her eyes widened as she looked at my father. He was too busy admiring my body to see our encounter.
"Ooh shit." Kathleen gasped, doubling over as she held her stomach.
"What?! What is it?!" My father panicked. She hyperventilated.
"T-the baby. Contractions." She gasped, moaning as she squatted down.
"We need a doctor." Celeste panicked. I pulled up my underwear and looked at my father. I saw water trickle down her leg and I internally smirked. Piss.
"My water just broke. Please." She moaned.
"Please. Just give her a chance." I whispered. His eyes seemed conflicted as he turned around, putting his weapon in his pants. Once he did, I grabbed the gun out of his pocket and gripped him by his neck.
"You fucking idiot." I hissed as I held it to his head. Kathleen was gripped back by Emmanuel, swearing under her breath.
"You wouldn't kill your own father now, would you?" He asked.
"You're not my father." I yelled. I looked up at Emmanuel and with no hesitation, shot him straight in the head. He dropped down and everyone screamed. Sirens were heard from outside and I rolled my eyes. Fucking cops.
"Anna, you're better than this." He whispered.
"Fuck you!" I screamed. My head became hazy. Celeste and Lopez left the room. It was just us three.
"Why do you fucking hate me so much? Look what you did to me." I cried as I pushed him away. I pointed it at him. I grew angrier and angrier and pushed my face into his, our forehead and nose touching.
"Fucking answer me." I growled. The rage from my childhood grew and grew until it exploded in my chest, the bipolar thoughts and psychotic part of me becoming exposed as my body shook. I smiled at him, the voices and repeating thoughts glitching in my head. The obsessive thoughts constantly saying he hates me. I'll never be enough for him. He abused me.
"He abused me." I whispered over and over and over and over. It never stopped. Never. Our faces were still touching as I backed him up against the wall.
"You broke her. He broke me. Me me." I repeated, slapping myself in the head.
"No no no. Why? Why?" I screamed, looking at him. He stared at me as if I was crazy.
"Why'd you do it?" I yelled, punching the wall. I want to hurt him. I want to kill him.
"Anna, you have to calm down." Kathleen stated.
"Calm down?! Fuck that. Don't tell me to calm down." I yelled. I pushed myself back on him and he watched me. He watched me with an intensity that made me more angry. I punched him square in the jaw, hearing a crack. He fell onto the floor and I continued to beat him up, screaming and crying about how much he hurt me. I bashed his head in with the gun until he fell limp. He gasped, opening his mouth and I stuffed the head of the gun into it.
"Anna no!" Kathleen screamed. I twisted my head and looked at her.
"Give me one reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger." I stated.
"Because you will regret it as soon as you do it. This is not you." She answered.
"What is me?" I whispered, looking down at him. I pulled out the gun and he pushed me off him, trying to hit me but I kicked him in the groin, before knocking him out cold with the metal gun. The door busted open and the uniformed men and women stared at me. I dropped the gun and stood up slowly. I grabbed my clothes and put them on, feeling the pain in my face pulsate under my skin.
"He's not dead." I whispered, hoarsely. I recognized the tall woman from the Dana investigation.
"A-are you okay?" She asked me. I looked up at her, exhaustion taking over me. I touched the back of my head and felt the heavy liquid cover my fingers, before my body slammed onto the floor. I heard panic and yelling, before my eyes shut, my slow heartbeat filling my ears.
Am I dying? I asked myself. I hope to God I was. Just for a moment, though. I slowly slipped away from consciousness, thinking about my blue eyed babies and how I prayed for God to watch over them, and pray that my father burns in hell for what he did..