Twenty-Three

Colton's POV

"We lost her, you fucking idiot! We lost her and the babies! I fucking trusted you!" I had screamed earlier in Caden's face as I shoved him into the wall of the waiting room. "You said you had this! YOU SAID YOU FUCKING HAD THIS!"

We have been waiting for five hours since I blew up at him, but he hasn't said a word to me. Cassia's mom, Smith, and my brother have all been quietly discussing things but I refuse. How could I when...

I shake the thought away quickly. Looking over Smith and Loraine, I think of what they must have gone through as well. I overheard them telling Caden that they had been living in the woods, surviving off the land and thinking of plans to get us out of there without causing World War III. They'd fought their way off our territory when it was raided, a warlock and a werewolf... who would've thought?

Caden whispers something back to Smith and my mind turns towards my twin. I don't whether I should kill him or thank him for at least thinking of some sort of plan to save our family. On one hand it was our only shot at getting out of there and killing Clyde... but on the other hand, Cassia... my mate, the love of my life is...

"Mr. Caden and Colton Calloway?" a man in a white lab coat approaches us and I ignore him. My brother can handle whatever he has to say. I don't have the strength...

I stare at the burns on my wrists from the silver and remember it... remember her.

Everything had happened so fast that Caden didn't get there fast enough. When I had finally broken free of the chains that Caden had previously loosened and killed a couple of guards, my brother took his sword and beheaded Clyde in one swift motion. It was rather sad, really. He let out a girlish scream when he realized what was happening. Cassia's executioner became distracted and that's when I ran over to her like Caden was supposed before the guard had the chance to behead her. I wasn't fast enough though...

He was able to swing the hilt of his sword straight into her skull, knocking her unconscious. They said it was unlikely she would live while we were on the way to the hospital.

"Colton? Did you hear him?" I hear Caden say and I look up with my eyebrow raised in question.

"The babies were delivered, Colton. Our babies are safe!" Tears brim his eyes and I stare at him in disbelief.

"W-What about Cassia? Is she...?" I don't have the heart to finish the question. Just thinking about her dead. Lifeless. No longing breathing. It sends ice shards straight through my heart. The same heart she melted and wormed her way into.

"She's in a coma, Colton. They say there's a fifty-fifty chance." I smile ruefully. A fifty-fifty chance. I guess that's better than no chance, and Cassia has deemed herself a fighter. She can get through this, for us and our children.

"Would you like to see your children? They're very healthy and I'm sure they'd feel more comfortable in their father's arms," the doctor says and I immediately stand up.

He leads us to the nursery part of the hospital and two nurses in scrubs are holding two of the most beautiful newborn babies.

"Mr. Colton and Caden Calloway? Meet your children! The boy was born at 1:24 am this morning and the girl three minutes after. When you've chosen the names we'll give you the birth certificates to fill out, all right?" The nurses give us a big smile then hand my brother and I two little bundles that can fit into our bigs hand perfectly.

"C-Colton... We're fathers." I look up from the baby girl in my hands and see Caden weeping.

"It's overwhelming, isn't it?" I whisper as I look down at the beautiful baby in my hands. "She has our hair." I smile when I realize this.

"Can I see her?" Caden and I trade babies so we can admire the other. The little boy in my hand stirs and opens his little eyes with a yawn. I'm taken back with the dazzling color that comes directly from my mate.

"Caden, he has Cassia's eyes. Look." I hold him out to my brother and he gasps at the resemblance.

"Should we give them the names Cassia had already decided on?" Caden asks after us ogling our kids for a little more.

"Yes, definitely." We flag down a nurse and tell her the names Cassia had previously chosen. They were both perfect and comical. Perfect for our little family.

An hour later it was time for their feeding so we reluctantly handed our children back over to the nurses and went back outside to join Smith, Loraine, Lance, and Jeremy who had gotten here around thirty minutes ago.

"How is everything? Did you see my daughter?" Loraine wastes no time in bombarding use with questions.

"We didn't get to see Cassia, but we did get to spend time with the twins. They're so amazing guys. You're going to absolutely fall in love with them," I gush. I mean, what proud parent isn't totally mesmerized by their kids?

"I'm sure we are." Loraine gives me a kind smile and I return it.

A couple hours after we send Loraine and Smith to go get cleaned up and eat, an unexpected visitor shows up in the hospital. Both my brother and I tense up when he enters, a small growl stirring from my vocal chords.

"Before you guys attack me, I want you to know I'm here on business," Carrick, the leader of the Ring of Wolves, says.

"And what business do you have with us?" Caden asks through clenched teeth. I see a tick begin to form in his jaw and wonder if I look the same. All that's happened has honestly aged us twenty years.

"Well, seeing as how you're now the Kings of the werewolf world, I need to brief you on what that entails." He pushes his glasses back up his nose then coughs into a handkerchief.

What the fuck? He can't be serious...

"Are you delusional? We're not the kings. We're just Alphas, not royalty," I scoff.

"Actually, not only did you defeat the previous... dictator, but the Ring and I have consulted each other and our goddess. You and your mate are the new monarch, no doubt about it. Now if you will please let me tell you everything that goes with being a ruler, I'll be out of here sooner. So sit down, we have a lot to go over."

Caden and I look at each other, completely dumbfounded. With the shrug of our shoulders, we sit down and listen attentively to Carrick, wondering if this is too good to be true.

(A/N: hahaha wow. I mean, what do you guys think about this? Is poor Cassia going to be okay? And I bet you're wondering what the cute lil babies' names are! ;) Guess we'll see!)