Chapter 2 - Phil's POV

Sunlight streams through the window and warms my cheek. I open my eyes sitting straight up in bed and stare at the deep blue curtains hanging around my bed. All of a sudden I remember, I am at Hogwarts. Yesterday I was sorted into Ravenclaw. And I met someone. An image of Dan fills my mind, his chocolate brown eyes twinkling. I have a crush, I'm not gonna lie. I pull my curtains aside and Alex smiles at me.

"Morning Phil, how are you?"

"Tired." I mumble, pulling on a pair of socks.

"You get used to the early starts don't worry. Breakfast starts in five minutes so you might want to get a move on." I hurriedly pull my shirt on, tying my tie as I attempt to sort my hair out at the same time. I pull my robes over my head as I follow Alex out of the door, the others having already headed down to breakfast.

I take another gulp of tea before Alex pushes my timetable across the table towards me. My heart jumps as I see that I have quite a few lessons with Hufflepuff throughout the week, maybe meaning Dan. As this thought enters my mind, there is a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and sure enough, Dan is standing there.

"Hey, was just wondering what lessons you had today?" he asks, glancing at his feet, a slightly nervous vibe surrounding him.

"Double charms, Care of Magical Creatures, Transfiguration then after lunch I have Defence Against the Dark Arts and Herbology."

"Brilliant I have almost all lessons with you apart from Transfiguration." says Dan, grinning. Our gazes lock and we remain smiling like lunatics at each other before Alex gives a nervous cough.

"Charms is quite a walk, you two might want to head off."

"Oh yeah...course." says Dan, going a little red. He leads me out of the Great Hall and I can't help but feel butterflies in my stomach.

Charms is quite fun, we just revise simple things like  the summoning charm. I walk with Dan to Care of Magical Creatures as we discuss how tall exactly we thought Professor Flitwick was. As we walk a take in every inch of his face. His chocolate brown eyes with that sparkle, the way his fringe falls across his forehead and his perfect smile that gives me butterflies and lights up the world. Well for me anyway.

"Oy, Dan!" A voice yells from behind.

"Crap." Dan mutters and turns around, "What the hell do you want?" he asks, an edge to his voice. I swerve around and a Slytherin boy with blonde hair and grey eyes smirks at me.

"You're that Phil boy aren't you?" I nod.

"Well you're clearly not worth a lot are you? Wanting to hang around with faggot scum like Dan." I feel heat rush into my cheeks.

"Lay off him for Christ's sake." snaps Dan.

"Ooooooh got yourself a boyfriend Dan? Well no one else would want a piece of crap like you would they?" Dan's hands clench into fists.

"Oh dear, getting angry are we? I knew you were bloody mad, someone should lock you up-" The boy doesn't finish his sentence because Dan punches him in the face, the contact making a loud crack. The boy stumbles back but out of nowhere, two other boys jump in between us and push Dan to the ground and begin to kick him.

"Stop! Leave him alone!" I yell. Dan curls up into a ball, protecting his face from their blows.

"Oy! Lay off 'im!" A familiar voice booms from behind me. The three boys kicking Dan look up and turn away and run. I breathe I sigh of relief and turn to look up into Hagrid's face.

"Thanks." I whisper.

"S'alright. Dan, yeh alright?" I look at Dan and he groans. Hagrid picks him up as if he were a doll and Dan looks small and vulnerable in his giant arms.

"Come on Phil, let's take 'im up to the hospital wing."

I look down on Dan sadly. He is fast asleep, an almost completely healed cut underneath his eye. Bruises line his pale arms, purple and blue. He had a broken rib (now healing thanks to Madame Pomfrey) and suffered a nasty knock to the head. Hagrid went back to take the Care of Magical Creatures class, but gave me permission to miss it and stay with Dan. He looks so innocent in sleep. I look at his hands, wanting to hold one in my own, but I'm too afraid. Suddenly, his eyes flutter open and gives me a weak smile.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" I ask.

"I've been better." He grimaces as he shifts his weight.

"Can I get you something? Water? Food? I can see if I can get you a newspaper or something?" I ask, worried.

"Phil it's okay honestly." I meet his eyes and we stare. He slowly sits up, not breaking our gaze and starts leaning in. My heart thumps wildly in my chest but then Madams Pomfrey bustles in.

"Ah Daniel, glad to see you're awake. You'll have some nasty bruises but nothing that'll permanently scar you." She straightens his sheets and plumps his pillows but then finally notices me.

"Young man, I know Hagrid said you could stay here but you ought to be getting to your next lesson." I swallow my disappointment and nod before getting up.

"Wait!" I turn slowly, "Visit me after school?" asks Dan. I nod and he smiles before I turn and head off to find my next lesson.

The rest of the day goes slowly and as soon as Herbology finishes I sprint to the hospital wing where I find Dan chatting to a couple of other Hufflepuffs.

"Phil!" he grins when he sees me and my stomach flips. The other two boys smile warmly to me and I return the smile, slightly nervously.

"Hey Phil, I'm PJ and this is Chris." says the taller of the boys, extending a hand.

"Bloody hell Peej, a bit formal?" laughs Chris and envelops me in a hug. I laugh nervously.

"Nice one guys, scare him before he hasn't said anything." says Dan before turning to me and asking, "How was the rest of your day?"

"Meh, it was okay I suppose." I answer.

"We best be off." says PJ.

"Yeah, got a load of History of Magic homework." moans Chris and they traipse out.

"Sorry about them." says Dan.

"S'okay." Silence fills the room and then I can't help but blurt out what has been on my mind all day.

"Who was that?"

"Oh...just Jake." I raise my eyebrow. Dan sighs and carries on.

"Jake Daymond. Hates my guts, always has and always will."

"Why?" I ask, before adding, "I can't see why anyone would hate you."

"Thanks...well it's a combination of things I guess. Firstly, I'm muggle born and there's still some bullshitters who believe in pure blood superiority even though I thought Harry Potter changed that all when the war ended a decade ago." I nod, everyone knows the story of Harry Potter who saved the wizarding world.

"And also...he thinks I'm gay." Dan looks at his hands. "And I guess I'm easy to pick on." he adds hurriedly.

"Oh...well...are you?" I ask curious. There is a long pause.

"I think so." Dan looks at his hands then up at me, trying to read my reaction.

"Well there's nothing wrong with that is there? I shouldn't see why there should be?" Dan breathes a sigh of relief.

"Thanks for being a great friend Phil...I know I've only known you a day but...it feels like a lifetime. Damn ignore that, it sounded stupid."

"No it didn't." I smile at him.

"Good." There's another silence.

"Dan?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you help me with my Transfiguration homework?"

"Of course." and with that, the subject of Jake Daymond is forgotten.