A Month To Live (10)

I groaned at the light shining through the curtains - they seriously needed to get blinds in here. I pulled the hood of the sleeping bag over my eyes and let out a sigh as I attempted to snuggle back down again.

My peace only lasted for a few more minutes before someone pulled back the cover from my eyes none too gently.

'Wakey, wakey!' Remi's voice called from above me.

'Let me sleep,' I growled, tucking my head under my pillow now. Her voice was far to chirpy to be hearing the moment I woke.

'Come on, get up Raegan,' Remi begged. 'We need you to cook us breakfast!'

I lifted my head up from under the pillow and squinted up at her in confusion.

'What are you talking about?' I asked.

'Well, none of us are that good at cooking and then we realised that you live on your own and so you must know how to cook pretty well!'

'Go eat some Fruit Loops,' I grumbled, closing my eyes once more.

'Please, Raegan! Don't bacon pancakes sound delicious right now? Can you even cook? If not, I guess I'm wasting my time anyway,' she laughed.

Bacon pancakes did kind of sound good. Mmm and maple syrup drizzled all over the top. Damnit.

'Of course she can cook,' Bradley's voice came from beside me. It was slightly deeper than usual from having just woken up and I turned my head slightly to shoot him a scowl.

'Hey, you weren't sleeping there before!' Remi said suspiciously looking between the two of us.

'He got lonely,' I said, pulling myself into a sitting position with a sigh. I stretched my arms above my head. 'Okay, help me up and show me where the damn kitchen is,' I agreed, holding my hands up to her.

Remi grinned and pulled me up excitedly, dragging me towards the kitchen.

'And what happened last night when we all went to sleep?' she asked in a lower voice whilst giving me a suggestive look.

'Um, I also went to sleep so I don't know what you're referring to,' I replied, trying to end the conversation. I didn't want her to start talking about how she thought I was pining after her brother.

'Oh yeah,' she snorted. 'So that's why Bradley and his mattress managed to jump from one side of the room to the other and magically land next to you!'

'You guys all fell asleep and we were bored so we stayed up talking!' I exclaimed. 'He moved his mattress so we could talk without waking you guys up.'

I mean, it wasn't technically a lie. I got the feeling Bradley wouldn't want anyone to know about how he'd woken up so I avoided the matter. I don't know if he spoke to Remi about that kind of stuff.

'I'm not going to ask for any grimy details because it will put me off the breakfast that you're about to make me,' Remi said, finally shoving me into a door which happened to be the kitchen. I made to protest but stopped as I spotted the others.

George was attempting to crack an egg on the work surface and Tara was watching with her finger on her chin.

'I think that one's hard boiled,' Tara said.

Lisa, Davy and Kyle were laughing at something but stopped as the egg that George was attempting to crack broke on the surface and splattered everywhere. Definitely not hard boiled.

'How?' I muttered to myself. Did their parents not teach them how to even crack an egg?

'We're eating outside because it's such a nice day,' Remi said, unlocking the sliding glass door which led into the garden. I saw some wooden decking and grass but not much else as my attention was drawn to the mess they'd all made on the counter.