09: The Descent

The open window caused the curtains to move with the breeze. They danced slowly, only fastening their pace when the breeze strengthened. When I closed my eyes, I could hear everything. I could hear Rose and Damon downstairs, Stefan and Elena in his room, wooden chimes clacking against each other in the distance, birds singing their songs, leaves dancing through the ground and air, cars speeding by. It was a soundtrack of everyday life, and it sounded beautiful. The mixture of voices and nature was lovely.

   Three knocks on the doorway caused me to stop listening to the outside world and pay attention to the world that was inside the house. By the door, with her arms crossed, stood Elena with her brows slightly furrowed. It was the face she made whenever she thought of words that she wanted to say. I had spent enough time with her to recognize her facial expressions.

   "Hey," she greeted. "You okay?" She walked in with her arms crossed.

   "Who told you?" I asked her with a small smile. "Was it Damon or Stefan?"

   She closed her mouth and spread her lips into a small smile. "Uh, both?" She took a deep breath and took a seat in front of me. "There was a news report about an animal attack last night. At first, I thought it was Elijah that killed them, but he was at my house. Rose was... Well, she couldn't have done it. You're the only other vampire here, Clara."

   "I feel honoured that I wasn't your first choice." I leaned back on my hands, tilting my head slightly to the left.

   "Don't you feel remorse?" she asked in disbelief. "You killed a family, Clara!"

   "I'll send flowers to their funeral," I derided. It reminded me of the talk I had with Damon when I killed two people and made their deaths look like a car collision. I said the same thing, that I would send flowers, and I did! This kill was just like that one. I was immensely hungry, and I killed that family because of it.

   "Which flowers should I send?" I continued, standing from the bed. "Roses? No, those represent love. How about marigolds? They represent peace. Maybe a bouquet of orchids, pansies, lilies and lavender. They all represent peace, so why not a a bouquet of peace. Rest in peace family I killed."

   "You would fit better in a theatre company," Damon said, leaning against the doorway with his arms crossed. He looked at Elena. "Where's Stefan?"

   "He left," she answered. "I need you to talk to him. He's convinced that he has to find Isobel, but I think that's gonna upset Elijah."

   "No, can do," he breathed, shaking his head. "I'm with Stefan on this one, but if you could play nurse for a little while..."

   "It's not necessary," Rose panted from behind him.

   "It is necessary." I grabbed my sweater from the bed and looked at her. She looked deathly sick, almost as if she would drop dead at any moment. I smiled in her direction, hoping to calm her erratic heart.

   "Elena is a do-gooder," Damon mused. "It's in her nature, she just can't resist. Clara, with me." He grabbed my arm and began to pull me out.

   "What? No!" I whined. "I want to go home, Damon!"

   "Can't let you leave my sight since what happened last night," he smiled at me. "I need to keep an eye on you."

   "Then cut it out and give it to me," I sarcastically said, pulling my other hand out.

   "Damon." Elena stopped us when he opened the door. "Is she going to die?" She was talking about Rose.

   "Probably." He shrugged his shoulders. "The wolf bite caused some kind of infection and it's getting worse."