Chapter VII : One Sympathetic Butler

Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die...

The Reapers.

I instantly felt my blood running cold, like an injection of ice straight to my veins, paralyzing my whole body.

The Reapers...

Of course, I knew what Ciel Phantomhive was describing – after all, I had encountered one of the beings known as Grim Reapers. And that one occasion was enough to sear the image in my mind forever, of a cold man in a black suit, and impossibly tall...

The speed of my breathing began to increase, my chest tightening. Oh. Oh no. I rose from the chair, my hands shaking. Or maybe it was my body. Or maybe it was everything else.

"What are you doing?" The frown on Ciel's face was clear. "Don't tell me you are finished already?"

"I need to leave." I was surprised by the sound of my voice; high, reedy, panicked. It didn't sound like mine at all.

"Celeste, are you alright?"

My head whipped so that I could zero in on him. I gave only a minute nod.

"Obviously not. Are you feeling okay?" Concern flickered across his features. "Lord, you've gone as white as a sheet."

I stumbled backwards, twisting and clumsily trying to regain my balance. I had to leave. I had to leave that damn office – the room was closing in on me, the walls were narrowing – why was everything so small?!

Black spots began to cloud the edges of my vision as I gasped for the air that I could not find. Something was gripping me – like an invisible hand, crushing my chest and squeezing all of the oxygen from my lungs.

I had given my word. My word that I would never, for as long as I lived, come into contact with another one of those deplorable creatures.

"Sebastian!"

"No! Call him off!" I screeched, eyes burning with unshed tears.

"You've completely lost your senses – Christ –" Ciel dodged out from behind the desk, hands outstretched towards me. However, I did not realize that I was falling before I felt the back of my head cracking against the ground.

*

Bright green... such a harsh, unforgiving bright green...

It is all I can see above me.

It is all-consuming, eating everything in its path. Why are his eyes so, so green...?

Why is his voice so cold?

"Edward!"

"Celeste," a soft, low voice hit my ears. "Stay still, or you may injure yourself again."

"Edward. Edward," I sobbed, fingers gripping what appeared to be sheets underneath me. "Let him go. Let him go, you barbarian, he's only a child!"

It sounded like him

Cool fingers brushed my forehead, burning away my temperature. I was vaguely aware of some sort of aching in the back of my head. Oh, wow, that hurt, what had happened?

That bastard!

Had he hit me and taken Edward?

"Calm down. Can you remember where you are?"

"I want to go home, please let me go home. My brother needs me."

I would never overpower one of those things, so I could only plead and hope to find a heart.