Chapter 5

Normani woke up to the smell of frying bacon and the sun shining in her eyes. As she opened them, she instantly regretted it.

"Morning, sleeping beauty," said a voice next to Normani. Her head snapped up as she saw Dinah sitting cross-legged on the floor next to the bed Normani was in.

"What- how did I... why are you- where am I?" Normani said, dazed and confused.

"You were drunk, you didn't have a place to stay, I took you to my house," Dinah explained calmly.

"That explains the hangover," Normani grumbled. Her eyes widened. "We didn't..."

"Oh god no, I would never take advantage of you," Dinah said quickly, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "I slept on the floor and I kept my door open and I told my foster father everything,"

"Oh," Normani said sheepishly. "Sorry,"

"S'kay," Dinah grumbled. Just as she said that, a young man walked in carrying a glass of red liquid.

"Good morning," he smiled, placing the glass on the bed stand next to Normani. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," Normani sighed.

"I don't blame you. You passed out real last night," the man said, running a hand through his hair. "Drink this, it will make you feel better," he gestured to the glass.

Normani picked it up and felt her stomach churn. "Is this blood?"

"What do we look like? Vampires?" the man laughed. "It's a hangover cure my dad showed me. Works every time,"

Normani looked at him skeptically.

"Oh, where are my manners? I'm Zayn, I take care of Dinah and all the others," he smiled.

"The drink does work. We use it on Luke all the time," Dinah said, looking at Normani.

It's worth a shot Normani thought before she gulped down the drink. It tasted like strawberries and Shirley temples.

Normani instantly felt her head clear up and the sun did not hurt her eyes anymore.

"Oh my God," Normani gasped. "Was that like a magic potion or something?"

Dinah and Zayn exchanged nervous glances before turning back to Normani.

"Ha ha ha," Zayn said, obviously forcing the laughter. "You're funny. There's no such thing as magic. It's just an ancient family recipe,"

"Family recipe?"

"I'm British so yeah, it's from my mimsie," Zayn scratched the back of his head. "Anyways, I made breakfast if you want to come and eat-"

"Oh crap! I have cheerleading practice! What time is it? Am I late?" Normani said, frantically looking for her phone.

"Whoa girl, chill. It's 8:15," Dinah said. Normani sighed in relief.

"What time is your practice?" Zayn asked.

"Nine,"

"Alright, you got time. Come and eat, then Dinah will drive you,"

"Thanks," Normani mumbled, sliding out of the bed. She almost fell over when she stood up, but Dinah grabbed her arm to steady her.

"Be careful!" Dinah snapped. Normani flinched.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Dinah said, blushing. "I just don't want you to hurt yourself,"

"You're so cute, Dinah Jane," Normani giggled. Both of their eyes widened.