10: Shit Is Really Starting To Go Down Now

Frank groggily opened his eyes for the third time that night, if it was even still dark anymore, he wasn't quite sure, because somehow he had ended up back inside his house, his body stretched out on the couch in the living room, and even though every instinct in Frank's body was screaming at him to go check up on Gerard, any tiny movement sent hot waves of pain surging into his skull, and walking seemed borderline impossible at this point.

Letting his eyes fall shut once again in the hopes of alleviating his pounding headache, Frank tried to process what was happening to him, because now he remembered, fuck - he remembered everything; the memories of his old life had sprung back into the forefront of his mind, filling the gaps that had been left behind, and he finally understood so many things about himself that had previously baffled him.

His intense attraction to Gerard was no longer strange and storybook worthy, because they had met before, they had fallen in love before, so even though he hadn't remembered him, his subconscious somehow had, and that day in the library made so much more sense now, but that wasn't the only thing that was cast in a new light thanks to Frank's forgotten past.

Frank's love of flight was explained as well, not that he ever thought that was odd or strange, but now that he knew he had once been an angel, a being capable of soaring through the air whenever he wanted, his adoration of airplanes and the sky was now revealed as his attempt at relieving something that Frank couldn't even recall experiencing before today, but now that he could, he knew that nothing would ever compare to the sensation of having the wind in his wings.

But the answer Frank had been most desperately searching for lay in the one memory he did not want to acknowledge, and that was Gerard's death; that was why Frank suffered from what he had thought were random bouts of desolation, but they were anything but random. They always started on the day that Lucifer had taken Gerard away from him, and even though Gerard was now alive and well, Frank knew that the fear of losing Gerard would reside in his chest forever now that he remembered what life was like without him.

Knowing that he had to face Brendon and Billie Joe sooner rather than later, Frank forced his eyes to open again, letting out a soft groan so the two angels would be aware that he was now awake. Frank heard the shuffling of footsteps approaching his prone form, and even though it hurt, Frank forced his head to turn slightly to the right, bringing Brendon into his line of sight.

"Frank - thank fuck, I was so worried about you. God had warned us the process would be painful, but I never thought it would be that bad," Brendon heaved out a sigh of relief, his hands fluttering at his side nervously as his eyes raked over Frank's body.

"If I didn't know better, I would think you cracked my skull," Frank chuckled weakly, slowly bringing himself into a sitting position despite his protesting muscles.

"So...did it work, do you remember?" Brendon asked softly, a look of guarded hope crossing over his face as he waited for Frank's answer.

"Yeah...I do - fuck, I can't believe I ever forgot, but that was the condition of becoming human right, I had to lose my memories if I wanted to be with Gerard again?" Frank questioned his one-time friend, trying to test out how accurate his recollection of the past was.

"Yes, at least, that's what God told us, you disappeared without even saying goodbye, which I am still slightly pissed about by the way," Brendon laughed in a teasing manner.

"Oh god, I did...didn't I, but God said it had to be that way, and I couldn't pass up on a chance to be reunited with Gerard, I am sorry though," Frank apologized, his head spinning wildly as he tried to comprehend everything that was going on.

"It's okay, it's not like I wouldn't have done the same if it was Ryan..." Brendon's face fell when he mentioned Ryan's name, but before Frank could question him about it, he had continued speaking. "It doesn't matter anyway, because all we wanted was for you to be happy again, and you were anything but that without Gerard, believe me - I would never have bothered you two if the situation wasn't so dire."