Chapter 15 - Break a Leg

By the time Simone made it to the infirmary, the poison had worked its way through her system. Every jolt made her leg hurt and her belly cramp, and even with Ami's guidance there were a lot of jolts.

She looked around, trying to spot the tall, muscular Dolketian. The infirmary was a low-ceilinged, spacious cave with a series of deep set pods in the surrounding walls. Each of these circular pods was partitioned to create a private space with a comfortable broad hammock, scores of fresh hanging herbs and plants and cushions and floor mattresses for visitors.

It was the cosiest, warmest infirmary Simone had seen and she'd seen her fair share, although never for injuries. There was nothing like faking a headache to get out of a few classes. Somehow she didn't think that would work here. She pictured lying to Lady Alva and shivered.

"Are you feeling cold dearie?"

A matronly priestess bustled around her. She was round and friendly looking, the first Simone had seen. All the other fully fledged priestesses were hard and lean.

Simone shook her head and winced. "Joli?" she asked.

"All in good time dearie," said the priestess placing a cool hand on Simone's cheek. "Your clutch mates say you've been poisoned." She started breathing deeply and rhythmically through her nose while gently placing Simone's limbs in very specific positions on the hammock. With a flutter of excitement, Simone recognised the Goddess Breath Method they'd learnt in class.

"Close your eyes."

Simone could hear the soft sea sounds of palms being briskly rubbed together. Then she felt heat and warmth fanning over her face. Her eyes popped open.

"Closed, dearie," said the priestess. Her voice, though kind, brooked no argument.

In the seconds Simone's eyes had been open she'd seen the priestess' open palms hovering centimetres from her skin, scanning slowly downwards from what she'd been taught was the crown chakra down to the throat chakra.

The ache in her head receded and for the first time in many moons, Simone relaxed. Even her leg stopped throbbing as much.

Low voices woke her. She could pick out Nada and an older priestess, possibly the healer in charge of the infirmary. "I couldn't find any traces of poison but she'll need to rest that leg."

"Is it broken?"

"Yes."

A small gasp from Nada. "Poor Simone. How long will it take to heal?"

"A few moons before she can walk properly."

The clear voice of Alexia chimed: "That's devastating. It's going to affect our performance as a clutch. It's going to be next to impossible to get enough points to make it to the final Benediction."

"What's the Benediction?"

"Only the most important exam we have all year! If we don't pass we have to redo Earth Year." Simone almost sniggered. Alexia sounded disgusted, as if only criminals and reprobates repeated the year.

"Your concern is duly noted," said the healer. "Perhaps if you pull together as a clutch you can surmount this."

"And Joli?" Nada asked. "What can we do to help?"

"Her situation is delicate. Best for her to explain. She's going to need your support." The healer bustled off. So she wasn't poisoned after all.

"Useless, absolutely useless," said Alexia. "I'm surrounded by swooners and idiots. Is this what my ascension plans have come to?"