Final Test

The next morning, I wake up and go back to the cells. I go into Pietro's room, invisible, and knock on the wall near him. He wakes up with a start. "Who's there?" he asks.

"It's me, Annabelle. I need your help. I need you to make Wanda mad later. We need to make sure her powers aren't a danger and she is in control, not the other way around. Will you help us?"

Pietro groans and lies back down. "You had to talk to me this early in the morning. I'm tired. Let me rest."

"Please, will you help us?"

"Fine, now let me rest."

"Thanks." I leave the room and go back to set up another room that is next to Wanda and Pietro's I roll chairs in and set up a table in the middle. My watch beeps when it's nine and I take a seat in one of the chairs. After a few minutes, I walk back and hear Pietro walking around. I open the door and grab his arm, leading him out, slowly. He manages to walk into the room and takes a seat. I go back and get Wanda, taking her into the room.

I walk hide among the wall as I hear Pietro start to talk. "What is wrong with you?" he shouts. "I don't understand why I followed you here. I should have left you back when we were ten. Having you follow me around for these past fourteen years has been a burden. I could have left and found a new home, new family if I didn't have to care for you for all these years!"

Wanda gasps and I hear the tears. "What are you talking about? Why are you acting this way?"

"You are worthless and you have never been anything to me. You'll never been worth anything!"

"Stop it!" Wanda shouts. I hear the chairs move but they stay firmly on the ground. "Stop it! This isn't you! Why are you saying this?!"

He pauses for a moment. "Because it's true."

I can practically feel her anger rising off the charts. I hear a loud smack as she slaps Pietro. He falls to the floor with a grunt. "Ouch! That really hurt, Wanda."

"Not as much as your words," she says, venom dripping from her tongue.

"Is that enough?" Pietro calls and I step forward.

"Congratulations. You have passed your test," I tell her. "I am quite sure nothing Pietro said was true."

"Annabelle? This is the test? How is this a test?"

"To make sure that you can control your powers even when mad. I knew that only a sibling or family could make you angry enough to know."

Pietro gets up and start to walk towards Wanda. "I didn't mean any of that, I swear. Can you forgive me?"

She sighs. "Yes. I know you wouldn't mean that. And I don't blame you, either, Annabelle."

"Bright-side! You no longer need to be confined into the room. And I don't think Pietro needs to be in his either. As you can tell, he hasn't been running around uncontrollably so far."

"Can you reveal yourself?" he asks. I do as he asks but keep my head towards the ground. "Annabelle?" he asks. I nod and he comes towards me. He rests a hand on my chin and tilts my head up. I keep my eyes closed. "Why won't you look at us?"

"It wouldn't matter if I did or not. I can't," I reply.

He scoffs. "Why not? You saw us before. Do you think we are hideous? Why hide from us?"

"It's not like that. I just can't."

I hear his anger in his voice, "Why not?!"

I start crying and Wanda pulls him away. "I can't!"

"Pietro, stop. It's not her fault. Back off."

"No, I want to know why she can't look at us!"

"I'm blind!" I scream. Tears fall down my cheeks. I feel along the floor as I try to get to the door. As I stand up and run out, I hear Wanda yelling at Pietro. I try and find the way out but I can't find the door. I give up and sit on the ground, trying to make the pain go away. I hear footsteps come and run towards me. Wanda helps me off the ground and leads me to her room. I sit on the bed and cry into her shoulder.

I finally calm down enough so she can get a word in. "I'm sorry about him. I didn't think he would go off on anyone like that."

"It's alright. He's probably just a little touchy from being in lock up for so long. I should have just told him from the start. This never would have happened."

"Stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault. Don't make excuses for him."

"But it is my fault. If I had just told you both then it would all be alright."

Wanda is quite for a moment. "You've never made a friend before, have you? You told me how you were kept in your home and only allowed out under supervision. You've never made a friend on your own, though." I nod and she keeps hugging me. "You can't make friends by taking all the blame. You have to know what is your fault and what isn't."

I nod. "Can we go talk to him? I think we should talk about what happened. Make amends, that kind of thing. I want to be friends with both of you."

She grabs my hand and leads me somewhere. When we stop, I feel another presence in the room. "Pietro?" I ask. Wanda lets go of my hand and leaves, closing the door.

I hear him sniffle before he sits up on his bed. I realize she lead me to their new rooms. "Annabelle, I'm-," I cut him off.

"It's alright. You didn't know." I feel around for a chair and he helps me onto the edge of his bed.

"I'm still going to apologize. I never meant to be rude or pushy. For the past few years, it's just been me and Wanda on our own. Then the experiment and being trapped made me edgy. I'm sorry about going off on you." He wraps me in and arm and I stiffen before returning the hug. "If you don't mind, how long have you been blind?"

"Not at all. I've been blind since I was born. I've never been able to see. I guess it's better if you think about it. I don't know what I'm missing out on."

"What do you do for fun? You can't really play on a cell or text since you can't see."

I tilt my head. "Text?" I ask.

"You really are from the forties. Texting is basically sending a short note to one another in seconds. And the other can be across the globe."

"That's amazing. You should show me sometime. I missed a lot stuck in that ice. Anyway, I read and knit for fun most of the time. I never really had a lot of options. Maybe you can help me find some more. Or we could have fun just talking. I've never really had a friend before," I tell him.

"I'll be your friend. If you'll have me, that is."

I smile and hug him. "Of course! Come on, you're probably hungry. Let's get some food." I grab his hand and lead him out leading him through the hallways to the mess hall.

����/NG