Trust

"I won't stop you," Steve assures. I smile at him and give him a hug. "If he hurts you, he'll get hurt but I won't stop you."

I blush and look away after drying my eyes. "I expect nothing more. Just don't hurt him too bad. He's still a good guy."

Steve chuckles. "The real question is: When did you get such an attitude? You were such a sweet young lady and in our first conversation you were very determined for confrontation."

"When I was trained and when I met the twins. I learned I couldn't be a soft little girl anymore. I hadn't really known how to protect myself from others. Or what it was like around people. I learned how to protect myself and my feelings by putting up this front. Soon, it just became me. Are we technically twins anymore? I mean the same biological age?"

"What day were you frozen?" Steve asks.

"A day after you. I remember I was so happy that day. They told me you were dead and that the next day would be the last test. I went to breakfast and then they pushed me into that cold tube."

Steve walks over to the desk and takes a folder out. "I thought I would show this to you later. A year or so ago, Bucky as the Winter Soldier attacked me and Natasha on orders from Hydra. I didn't know it was him at first. In the end, he saved me from drowning and ran off. Nat got his file for me and noticed someone with my last name. I was surprised to find you alive and that Nat realized you might be my sister. I never told anyone about you so that you were protected. It didn't really do much I guess."

"I understand why you did that and my being taken wasn't your fault."

"Anyway, apparently they unfroze you the day I made headlines in New York. When I woke up, everything was different. I took out quite a few people when I was trying to get out of there." I laugh and he smiles. "Hey, to be fair, I thought I was dead. I crashed a plane loaded with bombs in the artic. I thought if the crash didn't kill me, the bombs would. Neither did."

"I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for you or congratulate you." He looks at me funny. "Don't think you can hide it. Who was she?"

Steve looks away from me, towards his hands in his lap. "Her name was Peggy Carter. The only woman who was in the army as an agent."

"I'd love to meet the girl who stole my brother's heart. I'm guessing that she wasn't frozen like us."

"No, she wasn't. She is old and has a disease that makes her forget things. She has a family now and grandkids. I'm happy for her and that she didn't wait for me."

I smile at him and dry his tears. I stand up and move towards my bundle, then back to my bed. "I kept them. Every last one. I always had them on me. I was taken with them."

"Like Mom did with Dad's letters."

"I also have your dog tags and that picture." Steve groans and lays against the bed.

I laugh. "Please don't show anyone that picture. I get enough teasing from Tony about being frozen."

I hand it to him and he looks it over. "You can see why I didn't believe you were my brother when I first saw you. I never knew you were Captain America, your voice changed and you're much taller than in the picture. I had no reason to believe that after this many years you were still alive."

"I get it. And I don't blame you. I'm just grateful to have you back." He walks over and picks me up, swinging me around. I laugh as he sets me down.