Chapter 22: Team Muscle

Piper's POV

I climb down from the tree Leo and I picked last night. Leo is still fast asleep. I decided to find breakfast. It's not like a vegetarian breakfast burrito is going to fall out of the sky.

I find a bush full of blackberries. They don't look like they were poisoned or inedible, so I pick a few. I'll have Leo try them first and if he dies, I'll know not to eat them.

I find a really small stream with a few fish swimming around. I take my knife from my bag and spear one, two fish. Both are for Leo. I'll just eat the berries. The bottle that I received in my pack is still empty, so I fill it in the clear stream.

I make my way back to the tree and find that Leo is awake and messing with some twigs, trying to build something.

"Whatcha got there?" I call out.

He scrambles to put it away. "You know, stuff."

"Riiight. Anyways, I got breakfast."

He rubs his hands together. "Great, I'm starving!"

I give him the two fish, which he immediately barbecues with his hands. I nibble on a few of the blackberries. I refuse to eat any meat at the moment. A few days in, when I'm starving, maybe I'll do it.

"So, what's the game plan for today? Planning on killing anyone special? Me, I've got this one girl who tried to kill me, Becca or something. Don't really like her. Or that other girl, Zoë or something. She don't look like she want a piece of this," he gestures to himself.

"No one wants a piece of that," I retort.

"Please. I've got plenty of ladies back home, waiting to hook up with the super sized McShizzle. You can join the line if you want. There's enough of Leo for everybody!"

I roll my eyes at his comment. He obviously has way too much self-esteem. I would hate to burst his happy bubble of Leoness.

"Anyways, let's get this day on a roll," Leo says brightly, standing up.

"Alright. We don't have to track down this Becca girl of yours down, do we?"

Leo puts his hand to his chest as if he's offended.

"Of course we do! She tried to put an end to this slice of hotness! That's not okay! The punishment for attempting to kill Leo is death! Death I say, death!

"Alright, Repair Boy, revenge for breakfast it is."

We walk for a few minutes, silent except for the leaves beneath our feet. Out of nowhere, Leo starts shouting.

"I remembered the girl's name! It isn't Becca, it's Bella! I'm a freaking genius!"

"Shh, I don't think they heard you in Africa!"

"Oh, do you want me to repeat it for the poor lions who couldn't hear me?"

"No, I need you to shut up!" I shout to his face.

"That would be nice," a new voice says.

I swivel around to see a boy standing under a tree near us. He has blonde hair and a scar over his eye. I hate to admit it, but he is extremely hot.

"Uhh," I mange.

Leo just stares at me like I have two heads.

"Um, anyways, nice to meet you, random stranger we met in the woods. Whatever might your name be?" Leo says in a friendly tone.

"Why do you want to know the name of your killer?"

"You know, so it can be on my gravestone."

"I'm Luke, son of Hermes. I'm...looking for someone. Two someone's, actually. But you're in my way. Guess I'll have to fix that."

Luke raises his sword, but before he can strike, I find my voice.

"Stop. You don't want to hurt us," I say, using charmspeak. I feel bad having just met him, but I would feel even worse dead. "Who is it that you're looking for?"

He hesitates, but my charmspeak wins over.

"Two girls. A daughter of Zeus and a daughter of Athena."

Annabeth is the daughter of Athena. And the daughter of Zeus is a girl named...Thalia?

Leo interrupts. "Piper was with the daughter of Athena, like, yesterday! That's where we're going! To find her!"

I give Leo a look that reads, I thought we were tracking down an enemy of yours.

He returns the look. I'd rather be on Team Muscle. Let's go along with him.

"Is it alright if we join you, Luke?"

Luke nods his head yes.

"Great! Let's get this party started!" Leo exclaims.

Luke scowls, as if realizing that this isn't a good idea. But it's too late. Leo trashes ahead of us, eager to find Annabeth. I only have one question.

Why does Luke want Annabeth and Thalia?