Chaper 2 - Paul.

A few days later Michelle answered a phone call. It was another request from George Martin for help in the studio, this time with promise of payment. She arrived at the studios at the agreed time and found herself yet again surrounded by the four young men she had met a few days before. The work began, and, once immersed in the task in hand, Michelle became more relaxed, totally focused. As the session ended, the band tidied around and made arrangements for the following day – and once more Michelle found her services were still needed. As they left the building together, Paul fell into step beside her, chatting.

"Are you dashing back for anything?" he asked suddenly.

"Me?...," Michelle shook her head, "No...just an empty house. My husband is still in America at the moment."

"In that case, would you like to go for something to eat with me? I don't fancy going back to an empty house either!"

"I don't think so..." She paused

 Paul tried again. "Go on....you can choose where we go! Be nice after all our hard work today"

"Alright then," she smiled suddenly. What harm could it do? "But there's no point me deciding where, I haven't lived in London for nearly three years! You'll have to choose!"

Paul grinned back. "I know the perfect place!" 

Before she knew it, Michelle found herself seatedat a cosy table in a smart restaurant.

"I feel extremely under-dressed," she said worriedly, looking around the room, "look at some of those outfits!"

"I think you're the loveliest dressed woman here," said Paul gallantly, "Don't you worry about that! Now madam, what would like to eat?"

Over the meal Michelle found herself feeling more relaxed in his company. They talked about many things and discovered much in common. Paul was recognized frequently and people asked for autographs which he signed with a smile. Then, out of nowhere, a man clutching a camera interrupted them.

"Hey Paul -Daily Mirror, any chance of a picture? Who's this lovely lady – your girlfriend?" Before either could speak, the man snapped his camera and disappeared.

"Damn Press!" said Paul crossly, "sorry about that – we all do get hassle from them sometimes."

The very pleasant evening came to an end. Paul offered to see Michelle home – but she declined. So, with some reluctance, he thanked her for a lovely evening and kissed her on the cheek. He watched as she walked away towards the taxi rank. She puzzled him there was no doubt. At times she had been perfectly open and natural with him and then, at other times over the evening, the wall had come down. He wondered why? He watched until she rounded a corner and vanished from sight.The following morning Paul waited at the steps of the studio for Michelle to arrive. He saw her several minutes before she saw him. She smiled as they met and walked into the building together. They were chatting amicably as they entered the studio.

"Whooo hoooo, who got lucky last night?" shouted John, spotting them together and putting two and two together.

Michelle, mortified, blushed uncomfortably. Seeing her discomfort, Paul swiftly apologized and put John right. A few minutes later he came over to her.

Michelle, I'm really sorry for embarrassing you earlier. I know you're too good for McCartney anyway!" 

He smiled and held out his hand. Michelle shook hands with him and then said softly, "I'm married John ....nothing happened."

The session continued and Michelle found that she really enjoyed being around the four men. Around 1.00pm lunch was settled upon in the small café where she'd spent her first meeting. Both John and Paul were in fine form and there was a lot of laughter and noise from the group. This time, sat between Paul and George, she joined in the conversation, laughing with them. 

"This is where you are then?" A voice suddenly interrupted the fun.

The group turned. A tall, blond haired man looked around at them. His face showing his obvious distaste. 

"What d'you want?" John asked, standing up.

"John don't," Michelle jumped to her feet, "It's OK. I know him." She turned to the strange man "Ian," she  moved to hug him, trying to look pleased rather than shocked, "I..I...I didn't know you were planning on arriving today. You should have called me to let you know. I could have met you at the airport!"

"Obviously!" 

It was a sneer. Michelle seemed to visibly shrink under his gaze. Ian looked at the people watching their interaction.

"Are you going to introduce me then?"

"Yes, Yes ...of course. Sorry!" Michelle was confused. Her anxiety and distress was very apparent. Paul immediately disliked the man. Who was he?"

"Actually, don't bother!" He grabbed her arm tightly, " It's time for you to go I think."

"Ian....I can't I'm workin...." Michelle's voice tailed away and she looked at the floor,  realizing she had said too much.  Ian's expression told her exactly what was expected. She turned to George Martin "Sorry – I need to go."

George nodded and passed Michelle her bag and jacket. collected her things then, with Ian still  holding her firmly by the elbow. she was taken from he room.

"Who's that creep?" asked John suddenly, as outspoken as ever, "and was it me or was Michelle scared of him?"

"That's Ian, her husband," replied George grimly, "and creep is probably a good name for him! And yes, you were right. She looked terrified of him."