chapter seven

chapter seven

THROUGHOUT MOST OF THE DAY I slept some more and pondered over what May must think of me after what happened in the park. Does she think I'm some sort of lunatic? A freak? Did she suggest to walk me home because she didn't want to hang out with me anymore?

I must've been thinking about it too much because my mom asked me why the crease on my forehead seemed to stick there for ten minutes.

I immediately relaxed and blinked my eyes a couple of times as I looked over at her.

She had a mug in her hands filled with black coffee - she likes her coffee bitter - and her legs were crossed. She was sitting in a huge green chair (which is the ugliest chair I've ever seen, may I add, but my mother insists that we keep it because it was her grandmothers) and had wool slippers on while her long brown hair was tied in a never ending neat braid.

"Sorry, I was just thinking." I said regarding the comment on my forehead crease. She rose the mug to her lips and watched me as she took a sip.

"What about?" She asked and set her mug down on the table beside her. She squeezed her hands into the space between her thighs and shifted her position.

"Not much." I shrugged. I took a piece of my blonde hair and examined the tips. "Just... nothing, really."

My mom bowed her head and looked at me with wide eyes. She could see right through me; easy.

"Come on." She smirked, "spill."

I sighed and dropped my hair. There was no way I was going to get out of this, considering she was my mom and she knew everything about me (inside and out). The fact that she studied in law school and became a lawyer also helps. She knows how to get you to talk even if you don't want to. But it always feels better in the end - telling someone else your problems - because it relives so much stress.

"I was just worried what someone thinks about me." I confessed, immediately gulping afterwards and trying not to make eye contact.

"Who?" My mom asked. I cleared my throat and took a deep breath as I prepared myself for all the questions that were about to come my way.

"This girl named May." I answered.

"Are you two friends?" She leaned forward in her chair as she adjusted her position before sitting back again.

"Yeah, we just met, sort of." I said, finally looking my mother in the eyes as I shrugged.

"Well, if she's a true friend you shouldn't have any worries of what she thinks about you." My mom said. "I'm sure it's fine, sweetie." She grabbed her coffee mug and smiled at me. "Come on, what's not to like? You're a cute girl! I'm sure many people would die to be your friend!"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes as I mentally face palmed. Oh, mom. If only you knew.

"Thanks mom." I smiled. I leaned back onto the couch and pulled a blanket on top of me. I was about to grab the remote to the television, but my mom cleared her throat, causing me to look at her.

"You know your cousin, Sarah, is getting married, yeah?" She changed the topic.

"Mhm." I nodded my head slowly. Sarah announced her engagement a few months ago when she changed her status on Facebook, which, of course, made my entire family go crazy. I've heard she's getting married really soon.

"Well," my mom started, "the wedding is taking place an hour away, and Sarah was wondering if you wanted to come?"

My eyes widened as I sat up.