Chapter 15 - Cat's Out

I don't have to wait long before I have visitors. Good thing. It gets lonely in the joint.

The door rattles open. It occurs to me that I never heard a lock. Either it's broken or they figure the chains are enough. More likely, though, is they moved here in a hurry after my interruption last night and didn't expect prisoners.

I always strive to be ahead of the pack.

"Welcome," a deep voice says.

I sniff the air, catching what the bag over my head lets through. His scent reminds me of the black licorice I always hated. It's no less unpleasant on him. "Who are you?"

"Someone who you will grow to admire."

"Don't count on it." I really do need to learn when to shut up.

He chuckles. "My name is Moloch."

Moloch? Who the hell names a kid that? "Pleased to meet you. Untie me, maybe?"

"In time." His feet scratch the floor as he walks around me. "You don't know it yet, be we're on the same team." Something presses into my chest. "Nice stick. A few of my boys tell me you've got quite the batting average."

"I may need to start swinging higher."

"I'm counting on it." He moves his face to mine. His breath smells of peanuts. Now I know how to take him down--cut off his Planter's supply. "But you'll bat for my team, Darla Velasquez. And you and I will be unstoppable"-- his lips are against my ear-- "shifter."

I suck in a breath. He knows? How?

He backs away from me. "I know your secrets. Don't worry. They're safe with me. And in case you're wondering, the chains will hold. Couldn't get silver on short notice, but there's enough steel their to hold a heard pissed off elephants, so don't waste your time." He tugs on the chain holding my right arm to drive home the point. "Oh, and we do have plenty of silver bullets."

Theory confirmed. Assuming he's telling the truth. And here I thought all that was just Hollywood stuff. Who knew my Netflix addiction was adding to my education? "You took my friend. Where is she?"

"Safe. For now. She's taking a little trip."

Trip? "You drugged her?"

"Don't worry. She'll thank me later."

I pull against the chains. I'm sure it's an impressive display of my displeasure, but he's right. Completely useless. "I'll kill you."

"I don't think you will. And if you want your friend to survive the night, you'll settle down and do as I say. We're gonna be great friends, you and I."

"You have a funny way of introducing yourself."

"I'm shy. What can I say?" The door rattles open. "You rest. We have a long night ahead of us." And then he's gone. Another set of boots follows him from outside the door.

He knows I'm a shifter. Then why not kill me? His team. The realization settles in. Darth Vader there wants me to be his pet. And if what I saw on the streets is his fault, I'm sure I want no part of it. I fight against the chains. The bolts grind inside the walls, but they don't loosen.

Jacques, where are you when I need you? Dead isn't a good excuse. Did he ever find himself chained in a room with no way out? I mutter his name a few times and drop my chin to my chest. So tired.

At some point, I slip off to sleep.

***

I'm awakened by the rattling of the door. I tense up, waiting for whatever torture they have in mind.