Chapter 53.

Karen has made lots of sweets for us to eat. I eat a few while Karen and I discuss her love for baking. Landon doesn't join us in the dining room but it doesn't seem to cause any suspicion.

"I love baking as well, I am just no good at it" I tell her and she laughs.

"I would love to teach you, I am quite the baker." she boasts and I smile. Hope is evident in her brown eyes and I nod.

"That would be great" I don't have the heart to say no. I feel for her, she is really trying to make an effort to get to know me. She believes me to be Hardin's girlfriend and I can't tell her otherwise. Hardin has made no move to tell her or his father either, which gives me a swell of hope. I wish this night was how my life could always be, enjoying spending time with Hardin, his eyes constantly meeting mine as I converse with his father and soon to be step-mother. He is being nice, for the last hour at least and his thumb rubs over my knuckles in a gentle gesture that gives me a constant string of butterflies. The rain continues to pour outside and the wind howls..

After we finish the desserts, Hardin gets up from the table. I look at him questionably and he leans down to whisper in my ear.

"I will be right back, just going to the loo" he says and I smile. I watch him as he walks away and disappears down the hall.

"We both cannot thank you enough, it is so wonderful having Hardin here, even if it's only one dinner" Karen says and Ken takes her hand above the table.

"She is right, it is wonderful as his father to see my only son in love. I had always worried he wouldn't be capable.. he was an .. angry child." Ken mutters and looks at me.

He must notice how I shift uncomfortably in my seat. " I am sorry, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, we just love to see him happy" Happy? Love? I choke on my breath and break into a heap of coughs, the cool water in my glass slides down my throat, calming it and I look back at them. They think Hardin is in love with me? It would be incredibly rude to laugh at them but they obviously don't know Hardin.

Before I can respond Hardin returns and I thank the heavens that I didn't have to respond to their sweet but false assumptions. He doesn't sit down, instead he stands behind me with his hands on the back of the chair.

"We really should get going, I have to take Tessa back to the dorms" Hardin tells them.

"Oh, don't be silly. You two should stay tonight. It is storming outside and we have plenty of room, right Ken?" She turns to her fiancée and he nods.

"Of course, you're both welcome to stay" He says and Hardin looks at me. I want to stay. To extend my time with Hardin, especially when he is in such a good mood.

"I don't mind" I answer and try to make eye contact with Hardin. I don't want to upset him by wanting to stay here any longer. His eyes are unreadable but he doesn't seem to be angry.

"Great! Then it's settled. I will show Tessa to a room, unless you will be staying with Hardin in his?" She asks, there is no accusation behind her voice, only kindness.

"No, I would like my own room please. If that is okay?" I ask and Hardin glares at me. So he wanted me in his room with him? The thought excites me but I don't feel comfortable with them knowing Hardin and I are at that point yet. My snarky subconscious reminds me that we aren't dating at all, or even close to it. I have a boyfriend who is not Hardin, I ignore her as usual and follow Karen upstairs. Hardin doesn't follow.

She shows me to a room directly across from Hardin's. It isn't quite as large as his room but it is decorated just as beautifully. The bed is a little smaller and sits on a white frame against the wall. There are pictures of boats and anchors scattered through the room. I thank her multiple times and she hugs me again before leaving me to my room.