0.1

1. Wash your sheets every two weeks, I promise you'll sleep better.

.

June 28, 2011. Age ; 13

It was one night that I couldn't sleep. I wasn't sure why, but I was constantly tossing and turning. Eventually, it continued on so much that I was sleeping better on my bedroom floor or even the couch downstairs.

Yes, it was summer, but I still valued my sleep. Sleeping on the floor was hurting my back, as was sleeping on the couch, but I couldn't really go anywhere else.

"Shawn?"

"Oh, hey mum." I replied, "Anything you need?"

"Just checking on you.." She said, "Is there any particular reason why you're sleeping on the floor?"

"No. Well, uh, kinda." I said, standing up, "I can't sleep in my bed."

"Why?" My mum asked, coming over to the bed, "Ohhh."

"Huh?" I asked, looking at my bed, "Is it broken?"

"Not broken, follow me." She said, grabbing the sheets off my bed and walking downstairs to the washer and dryer. "Here we go."

She threw the sheets into the washer and stood there with me, "How long has it been since we washed these?"

"Not sure, why?" I replied, "Is there a specific date we were supposed to wash them?"

My mum laughed, "No, sweetie. Washing your sheets every two weeks helps you sleep better."

"How so?" I asked, as I was too curious for my own good.

"It gives you a clean, fresh feeling." She replied, "It'll be more comfortable, I promise."

"Will I finally be able to sleep?" I asked, "I'm exhausted."

"Yes, hun, you'll be able to sleep." She said, "Here, let's put this into the dryer now. It should only take fifteen minutes."

I nodded, and sat down on the ground. The cold tile sending chills up my spine, but at least I'll finally be able to sleep in my own bed again. It's been way too long.

The fifteen minutes going slower by the second, mum decided to join me on the floor. "We really need to put a rug in here or something!"

I chuckled and nodded, not wanting to be too loud that it would wake up my father or Aaliyah.

"I should probably wash up everyone's sheets while I'm at it. Remind me to do that tomorrow." She said, "I think Aaliyah should be fine, but I suppose her's will have to be extremely clean."

"Are my sheets almost done yet?" I asked, eager to hop into my cozy bed for the first time in days.

"Yup, just give it three more minutes." Mum said, "I promise, you'll be able to sleep peacefully tonight."

The three minutes went by, and I smiled, silently praying that I would finally be able to sleep.

As we walked up to my room quietly, we heard the soothing sounds of the crickets chirping, and the world seemed as if it was at rest. The world that was once full of energy, is now asleep.

I watched as my mum put the sheets on my bed carefully, and also as perfectly as she possibly could. After making my bed entirely, she finally motioned me over to lie down. "Now, I'll know if you slept well if you aren't up by.." she looked at the clock, "I'll give it until 10."

The clock read 2:21 AM, and I felt extremely bad for making mum stay up this late. But if I do say so, these sheets feel a whole lot different. I don't know how, and I may not ever, but instead of praying, I know. I know I'll sleep better.

"Sleep well; I'll see you in the morning." she said, bending down to kiss my forehead and walking over to the light switch.

"Oh, and mum?" I said, "Thank you, I love you."

"I love you too, never forget that, alright?"

"Never will. Sleep well mum."

She smiled and turned off the light, closing my door, and as I watched the light from the hall disperse. My eyes closed, and I fell asleep in my own bed for the first time in a while.

-THE NEXT MORNING-

I woke up, slowly sitting up as the bright ray of sunshine flooded through my open window. Checking the clock, the time read 12:06, so I must've slept a lot better.

I groggily got out of bed, walking down the stairs, as the smell of grilled cheese was filling my nose.

"Smells good, mum!" I said, "You were right."

She laughed, "I'm always right. I know everything, all mum's do."

"Right." I said, "Grilled cheese?"

"Grilled ham and cheese, actually. Now eat up! We're having a family day."

"Aaliyah, can you wash the remaining dishes? You can have chore money." My dad asked, obviously bribing my younger sister with money.

"Sure." Aaliyah said, "I'll take these." she said, as she grabbed everyone's dirty dishes.

Mum plopped the plate of warm ham and cheese in front of me, "Thank you again."

"Anytime, that's what mum's are here for, yeah?"

"Yeah." I agreed, "I'll have to remember this."

"It was something I learned from my mum! Now you share it with your kids one day." She smiled, "I'm happy you slept a lot better."

"Me too, mum." I said, "Me too."

.
hope everyone's enjoying the book so far! it might be short, but once it ends i'll be writing another shawn book or a jack g book(-:

and thank you for 1K followers! the amount of positive feedback is insane. we love all of you<33

-abb
(DONTWANTYOURLOVE)