Day At The Beach

"Come on, Jay, let's go!" you shout up the stairs. "Time's a-wasting!"

"Okay, I'm coming!" Jay yells back. You hear his feet pounding down the hallway.

You chuckle quietly and shake your head. Leave it to Jay to wait until the last minute to be ready. You start college in a few weeks, so you plan to make the most of summer. And today, that means a day at the beach with your boyfriend.

Jay tries to slide down the banister, but falls off and ends up tumbling down the stairs. "I'm okay!"

You hold in a laugh. "If you're done fooling around, do you think we could get going now?"

Jay scrambles to his feet, blushing furiously. "If anyone asks, you never saw that."

"Mum's the word," you promise. "Now come on, I want to get there before the crowd."

It doesn't take you and Jay long to reach the beach and set up your things. The sun is shining, the waves are pounding against the shore, and a strong breeze is blowing.

"Say, y/n, do you think you could calm this wind down a bit?" Jay asks, shivering.

"Well, I can try..." you say hesitantly. You've gotten better at using your elemental powers since you switched over to private training sessions with Sensei Wu, but for some reason you still have trouble controlling them properly in front of other people.

You close your eyes and focus on the wind blowing in your face, like Sensei Wu taught you. Sometimes when you do this, you can sense the wind, almost as if it's a part of you, but today, there's nothing.

You sigh and open your eyes. "Sorry, Jay. I guess it's just not happening."

Jay shrugs "It's okay," he says cheerfully. "I just thought maybe you'd like to practice your elemental powers."

"Not today, Jay," you say, poking his shoulder. "Today, let's just have some fun in the sun."

You and Jay spend the rest of the day running through the surf, building sand castles, buying hot dogs and cotton candy from nearby food carts, and soaking up the sun on the picnic blanket Jay brought. When the sun finally sets, you pack to leave.

Jay grabs your arm and points down the beach. "Hey, y/n, what are those guys doing?"

As if in answer to his question, a ball of light streaks into the air and explodes as a firework. "Oooooooh!" you say, clapping. Another firework goes off, then another.

"Hey, y/n..." as another firework explodes overhead, Jay scoops you up bridal-style and kisses you. You close your eyes and lean in. Perfect.