Chapter 24

The past three months were a blur. I learned to cope with my back injury, with a spasm only once, and my private mentor taught me to fight with two swords. My wielding was okay, but I need some practice. So I met up with Marissa to train, and practiced my fire on my own. Today I spar with Kai. I walk to the agreed upon meeting place, just outside the forest around Alstrein, and for some reason, Kai's not there. After a few minutes of waiting, I hear the sound of leaves crunching behind me. Drawing both swords, I wait. Soon enough, I hear the same sound again, but closer. I leap into the forest, straining to hear any possible noise. Quietly, I creep around a tree to get a better look. No sooner had I gotten to the other side of the tree when I hear Kai's voice.

"Phoenix?" He called.

Making my way back to the edge of the tree line, I respond. "There you are."

"Why were you in the forest?" Kai asks.

"Thought I heard a noise, my ears must've been playing a trick on me," I say, having dismissed the noise.

"Oh, well we should get started. You ready to lose?" He teases.

"We'll see who loses," I say. Doing what I had been told for the past three months, I raise my right sword above my head and angle it at my opponent while holding my left sword away from me, pointed straight at Kai's chest. Readying myself for attack, I wait. Sure enough, Kai's finger slightly twitches, signaling an attack. His blade meets mine, which was already poised horizontally in front of me. Just as it landed, Kai swung with his other arm, only to be met by the same blade. As his arm bounced back, I brought my right arm down in an arc, sending the sword right for Kai's outstretched arm. I hit my mark. A dull thud resounded as the sword struck Kai. A series of quick strikes on my part forced Kai back. Allowing him no time to recover, I continued my onslaught. Amazed at the sheer speed with which he blocked my attacks, I didn't see the sword coming. A sharp blow to my ribs brought me back to awareness. As steel met steel, time and time again, the duel went on, neither of us willing to give in. Taking turns pushing the other back, the dirt beneath us became well worn by many repetitive steps. Finally, Kai seemed to be tiring. His swings slowed, his blocks sloppy. I saw an opening. A wide stroke allowed me to kick out at Kai's wrist, forcing his sword from his hand. It landed in the packed dirt with a thump. Down to one sword, Kai was no match for my swift blades. I brought my sword back and swung. Mid-swing, I realized my mistake. I had arched my back and almost immediately I was forced to the ground by gut-wrenching pain. My vision blurred, and my thoughts were muddied. I was faintly aware of a voice ushering me back to reality.

"Phoenix, are you all right?" Kai asked. "Phoenix? Come on, say something."

"Wha- what h-happened?" I choke.

"You collapsed, and you've been conscious, even if you were nonsensical, for the past two hours," he says, concern written on his face.

"Oh. I think I'm fine now."

"You sure?" he inquires whilst offering me a hand.

I take his hand and pull myself off the ground. "Yea, just overexerted myself."

"Well take it easy, I was scared to death. You can't do that to me," he says.

"Relax, I'm not going anywhere any time soon. You won't lose your best friend, Kai," I reassure him. "Now let's talk about that duel. Did I disarm you? While crippled?" I tease.