My Benefactor Chapter Twenty One

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 crimsonnebula

All rights reserved

Chapter Twenty One

This chapter is dedicated to all of my fans!

I would like to thank PuppyChow and christina_stephie for your help. Your knowledge about Ancient Greece and mythology was useful for my future chapters.

Enjoy! No proofreading done. Vote, like, fan, tweet and comment as much as you want. 

******************************

(Derek's POV)

I woke after an hour of comatose sleep, feeling the thirst for blood searing in my throat. The room wasn't that dark. The lampshades that perched on both ends of the headrest pooled on the bed, gleaming off Reagan's skin. Her presence alone amplified my thirst, and it took all my will power to control myself. I didn't want another repeat like the last time.

Staring at the love of my life's sleeping figure, I sighed and reached out to stroke her rosy cheek. Even in slumber, she still looked achingly beautiful, like an angel sent down from heaven to torture me with her beauty and charm.

Wow, Derek. That was sooo cheesy.

Not only that, I just had to chuckle softly at the irony of my thoughts. If this was torture, I would gladly take it any day, or better yet, for the rest of my immortal life.

My hand moved to her soft brown locks, stroking them languidly. It was soft and smooth, as always whenever I twirled a lock out of habit. From there, my fingers traveled cautiously to her closed eyelids, where underneath lies her sparkling light blue orbs. I willed for them to open, for her eyes were the most beautiful set of jewels that mankind has ever known. Not even the rumored templars treasure could surpass its awestruck value. These precious eyes were my most favourite asset of hers.

Why?

Because it was where I could read most of her emotions; anger, frustration, guilt, happiness, the list goes on and on. Her eyes were the most transparent that made her real, my little one.

The tips of my pointer finger edged down to the bridge of her nose, to the bump, and finally her lips. Those positively sinful lips that I badly wanted to kiss.

With these thoughts running through my head, I hadn't realized my thumb had absentmindedly caressed her bottom lip.

I was definitely treading only dangerous ground.

But, as I looked back again at her serene face, I thought, "I can have this. I know I can have this, always."

I was still scared, but the thought of not having Reagan in my life was worse. Maybe I should just take what I could get and be happy with that.

The question was, would it be enough to stay stuck in a platonic relationship?

I have to say, and I admit, for a powerful pure blood like myself, I should definitely change my family name to wuss.

Yeah, I, Derek Josef Kolinkar, was a big wuss.

I leaned down and kissed her cheek. She stirred and mumbled "I want a hamburger" and went back to dreamland.

I chuckled. She was too adorable for her own good.

Then again, I was so in love with her that it hurt.

I felt a buzz coming from my pocket. I rolled over to the edge of the bed cautiously and sat up straight. I dug my phone from my pocket and checked the readout.

Alexis.

It took me on the fourth ring to press the answer button and sighed. Here we go. "Hello?" I said.

"Derek, its Alexis," she started.

"I know. There is this thing called Caller ID."

"Was that sarcasm I hear?"

"No, just stating the obvious."

"Whatever, I called to inform you that the wedding has been moved to an earlier date. Instead of November 31st, I moved it at the end of the month, September 30th."

I was brought up short. This was getting out of hand. Why was she so eager to jump into the marriage stage without relishing the engagement? Was she in a hurry to get married? I hadn't even put an engagement ring on her damn finger.

I had enough of this. I shouldn't have agreed to this in the first place. An arranged marriage had never made anyone happy.

More importantly, I should have done this a long time ago.

With a firm final resolve, I said the words which for sure would have her and my mother hunt me down and tear me to pieces. Yet again, pardon the expression, who the hell cares?

Reagan's spunky attitude seemed to be rubbing off on me.

"Alexis, I'm sorry but I'm not going to marry you."

Now it was now her who came up short. I guess she wasn't expecting that, at all. She was speechless, but I didn't care. She needed to deal with it.

After a few moments, she finally got her voice back and might I add, a very pissed one.

"What do you mean you're not marrying me?" she said, more like growled.

I sighed. This was going to be harder than I thought.

"Marriage without passion is something that I don't want to go through for the rest of my life. Even if I would learn to love you, it won't be the same. There's a difference between loving and being in love with someone. If I were to choose, being in love is where I want to be. I can't put myself in a position of being miserable. Even if I tried, it just won't work that way."

I heard a familiar scoffing sound at the background. Was that my mother?

"Alexis, is that my mother? Am I on loudspeaker?" I said in a low dangerous tone.

"Yes and yes."

"Put her on the damn phone."

I heard shuffling and a voice came on, which had my anger rose to a boiling point. The mixture of anger and thirst was a deadly combination and by now, I could care less with what they think.

"Hello, darling."

My mother had the audacity to sound chirpy and I just had to growl out my next words.

"Don't you darling me, Helena! I had enough of your schemes and manipulation!"

I stiffened and realized that I wasn't alone in the room, so I glanced over my shoulder to see if I had woken my little one up. Fortunately, she was sleeping like a rock. I bet she could sleep through a war.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that, Derek. I'm your mother. You should treat me with respect!"

I snorted. Respect? She was obviously delirious. If she wanted to be treated with the same courtesy, she would have in turn respected my choices and decision that I had made. I snapped my head back and retaliated at my mother.