8

That day seemed to drag on, and I wished more than anything that it would end. All I wanted to do was go to sleep, and put this awful day behind me. I really just wanted some alone time, so I could concentrate and process all that had happened. However, our timeline had moved up considerably. Colonel Phillips called for a meeting tonight, and he hadn't told us around what time it would end, which meant we could be there forever.

I grabbed a cup of coffee and poured as much sugar as I could into the drink. I hate coffee, it's too bitter for me. I should have made tea but I was to lazy for that. I just needed caffeine and coffee was the easiest. I took a sip of my coffee and choked it down. Steve came into the room, late and last. He was in uniform, which I think surprised all of us. I expected him to be in a more comfortable casual outfit. But he was here for business.

"Schmidt belongs in the bug house. He thinks he's a god, and he's willing to blow up half the earth to prove it!" Colonel Phillips stated starting the meeting. I knew this meeting was about Zola's intel, but it was bigger than I expected. It was bigger than any of us expected.

We sat down discussing what to do next. Phillips dropped a couple of pictures on the table, we passed them around. The one I found most important was the picture of the base built into the alps. The picture showed a huge wall of windows, obviously Schmidt wasn't worried about someone finding this base. It looked like this base was almost made to show off.

"It's not like we can just knock on his door?" Morita remarked. I wasn't paying total attention. I just stared at the pictures we had.

"Why not? That's exactly what we're going to do." Steve asserted, he was almost in another world. His eyes didn't follow the conversation, they didn't breathe life like they usually did. They were much more dark, there was a dangerous determination in them.

"What do you think Agent Smith?" Phillips asked me, he looked at me waiting for my reply. I had become a really good operational strategist for the unit, I don't know whether it was from pure luck, or intuition. I had found my niche in this company and it was to guess the enemy's next move. I looked up from the pictures below me to look at Steve. He gave a slight nod, giving me permission to sell the horribly terrible awful idea that had already formed in his mind.

"I think we can do it. Look at this base, from the windows it's huge, and these windows tell you a lot about the position and use of the base. Schmidt isn't expecting anyone to show up here unannounced, if he was he would make it look more hidden. This base is used more for showing off his power and control."

"If we're going to pull this off, we have to use the element of surprise, that's the only way we're going to get through the front door. This will have the best weapons, the best men, because this base is once again used to show off his power."

"St-Captain Rogers, I think you need to go solo first."

"What! That doesn't make sense, him against a whole army?!" Someone interrupted.

"Yes, if we could get Zola to tell us the fortifications guarding the base, Steve can pick them off one by one. I imagine they will be smaller than the other bases, since this is a place no one really knows about. As Captain Rogers picks off the outside fortifications, we move in right behind him, we flank both sides of the base. And when the doors are opened, when Captain is finally in the base, we move in and take it by storm."

"What about the Howling Commandos? What do you want to do with us?" Dugan asked me.

"You guys will be where Schmidt takes Captain Rogers. I imagine that room with the big windows is fairly important, and is where Schmidt will be. We'll keep a microphone on the Captain, and when he finally meets Schmidt, you guys storm through the windows."