Dorm Room 210: An Open Heart

Author Note: Updated and edited 29th March 2019

[If you don't see AUTHOR NOTE] at the top of the page, the chapter has NOT BEEN UPDATED! Please discontinue asking me why Lillian is Raven's girlfriend - that's from the OLD version :) ]

Let's do this! Only a couple more chapters to go.

P.s, the book will have its 3rd version up - but it won't be posted on Wattpad ... *wink*

Instagram: Broken_Dream07

Chapter 21:

An Open Heart

I see Noah standing outside the campus with his head buried in his jacket, the wind blowing continuously through his hair, and my heart sores.

Oh.

He looks up as the taxi parks right in front of the campus. I pay my fair with a heart-felt thank you before stepping outside the cold. From the corner of my eye, Noah jogs towards me, but he keeps his distance once he's at my side.

I stare at Noah as he straightens his jacket.

He stares at me.

He breaks eye contact first, facing the direction of the wind as it blows his hair back from his face, the tip of his nose pink, mouth cracked a little in the center. Maybe if I kissed him they would soften like they usually are.

"Hey," I say, trying to keep my voice even as the wind picks up. "You didn't have want to wait inside?"

Noah shrugs. "I wanted to make sure you get here safely. It got windy quite quickly. Have to make sure you didn't get lost or..."

Run away.

My throat feels thicker when I try to swallow, like my body isn't sure how to process what's happening. Noah continues to wait with me, hissing as the wind picks up, hands tuck in the jacket. The jumper I wear doesn't help me much, and I know I'm shaking as hard as him, but can't move.

"I don't mean to rush you," he says, leaning in close, "but I'm freezing my socks off. So unless you want to talk right now, can we go?"

I move -- but not where my mind tells me to go. Noah's arms come around me instinctively, and I don't think about anything -- not my aunt, my fears, or the talk I promised him we'll have. Instead, my mind ceases all thoughts as we share a warm embrace.

Noah hushes me as I whimper. "Come on, let's go inside. You're so cold, sunshine."

"Just keep me close," I say against his chest. "Your jacket is so warm, I might not make it without blue fingers."

He moves us both while he laughs, past the reception with the heater blasting in all sides, but that only lasts for a few seconds until we're both submerged in the wind again. Trees blow and leaves fall around us, students rush to get by safely, and Noah keeps his arms around me, protecting me. We almost bolt when Building E comes into view.

We both breathe out in relief, until Noah laughs.

I laugh back, pressing my back against the wall for support. My hair is knotty as I push it back from my face. I swear he goes louder, almost breathlessly, and I almost stop just to see if he would continue without me.

But Noah finishes as quickly as a he starts and takes me in; warm brown eyes scanning me in every way possible, from my blonde hair, to my crease jumper, and says, "You look magnificent."

"I'm a mess."

He frowns. "I don't understand how someone like you cannot see what everyone else sees. Nikki, Rachel, Raven, even Jesse," he says, focusing on the frames lined up behind me. "Maybe not Jesse, but he hasn't said anything rude about you since that first day."