*Ch. 1: At the Beginning

~We were strangers, starting out on a journey, never dreaming what we'd have to go through~

Kiyomi's POV

Yet another boring day in Konohagakure. I had been wandering through the market area because Hachi didn't want me rotting away at home in my room. It's not like I was doing drugs and stuff. I was reading. I'd rather think that would help my brain, not rot it away!

But Hachi was very persuasive when he needed to be, so here I was. I hadn't seen anything of interest in the market, therefore I headed down to the forest. The forest was always a nice place to go and think, so I chose a random glen that was far enough away that most people weren't there, then sat down.

Meditating was a small hobby of mine, an activity that I enjoyed. It was relaxing, and allowed me to clear my mind after interacting with people got too annoying. Which it did quite often. Having to keep up conversations was just draining.

My guardian Hachi had wanted me home before the sun set completely. This gave me about four or five hours during which I could continue my quest to achieve inner peace and relaxation. Or something.

Just sitting and thinking also gave me time to speak with Fenrir. Another pastime I enjoyed, as the great wolf had a lot of good advice and stories. He was a bit strange, but so was I, and it worked.

Fenrir himself was a spirit. Not like a ghost, but very similar to the Tailed Beasts that each village possessed. However, he always said he wasn't a Tailed Beast, and called himself a mountain spirit. Whatever that meant, considering he'd never really elaborated on it. Always saying he'd tell me when it was time and all that crap.

Even though he was a centuries-old chakra beast of almost infinite power, Fenrir sure didn't act like it. He enjoyed commenting on my life, making sarcastic comments, and being generally annoying. There were times he was helpful, such as in school. I didn't like to rely on his knowledge, but I wasn't above using it if I needed to.

I don't know the story of how Fenrir was sealed in me, though I felt like I should. My parents may have told me, but they died on a mission when I was five, so I don't remember. Hachi was never told, and Fenrir won't tell me himself. And the only other person who probably knew, my brother Kaien, is dead. And has been for the past three years.

But I don't really care about how I met Fenrir anymore. It's not like I can change it. He's just there, and he's probably never going away.

'Damn right I'm never going away,' a deep male voice commented from in my head. I rolled my eyes. 'I enjoy messing with your life way too much to leave now.'

"I know," I said aloud, rolling my eyes. Fen really did like messing with me. But he was protective, and also taught me a lot of stuff. The benefits of having a friendly chakra beast.

Normally we conversed in my head, but since no one was around I could speak freely. Only two people in the village know about Fen. The Hokage, and Hachi. Kaien knew, but like I said. He's dead.

'Are you aware of how much time you've spent here talking to me?' Fenrir asked, making me look around suddenly. The light from the sun had lessened, and all the trees were cast in a faint golden glow. There were also more shadows, and I could hear the sounds of night critters beginning to awake and move around.

As normal, I hadn't been aware of how much time had passed. That was a weird thing about getting drawn into discussions with the wolf. Time passed strangely. 'Oh gods...' I mentally groaned. Hachi was gonna be so annoyed that I was late.