Entry Fifteen

The morning began with another tray of food and another invitation delivered, this time, in person. Geroux was waiting outside the bedroom door this morning, announcing himself in as gentlemanly a way as he knew.

Odd, how I still found myself somewhat startled when I opened the door. Who else was I expecting? I had forgotten what he looked like. So while he was asking me to attend dinner with him, again, tonight, I was delayed and distracted with my answer. I, of course, said yes.

Geroux's well-disposed attitude toward my acceptance of his dinner invitation was rather perplexing. Must we keep up this tired charade, that I have a choice in the matter?

Apparently so, as in the time when I was looking out the window, another well-dressed mannequin found its way into the bedroom. This time, a long dark green evening gown, embroidered bodice and very unflattering, leg-of-mutton sleeves. Not a shade on the palate of colour I would have chosen, yet, then again, what in here is my choice?

The muddled memories of last night's stage spectacular, had bubbled up in my mind from time to time throughout the day. A thought I did not want to replay in my head again, nor a topic I was willing to broach at dinner.

The night arrived faster than usual today. I left my room and the lanterns lit the way.

Dinner was a simpler affair. Not as many ornaments. All unmoving, as they should be. Geroux made noises one would associate with gushing as I entered. I'm unsure as to why. This is simply the foulest dress I have ever deigned to wear.

"Thank you for coming again, Belle," Geroux purred. He rose as I entered the room and sat simultaneously with me, smiling the entire time. I hated that he was enjoying himself.

I had to put an end to that at once.

"You simply must tell me tonight how I came to be your... guest," I asked, or rather demanded with a lighter tone. "Otherwise, I fear I may lose my appetite."

Geroux remained quiet for the longest time. Since the mantle-clock remained in the bedroom tonight, how long exactly, I could not say.

He sighed deeply, "As you wish."

I drank a small sip of wine, celebrating my tiny, albeit significant victory in the conversation.

"Around a year ago, I suddenly found myself with a lot of time on my hands. I found frequenting public houses and other drinking establishments as a grand way to pass the time. I began to engage in some gambling. It added to the fun of the evenings, no doubt. Thankfully, I had plenty of money to spare, unlike the other men with who I played."

"One of which was a Mister Desrosiers."

My heart skipped a beat when he mentioned Papa.

...

Reminder: please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed your read ^__^