Chapter 22 - The Tipping Point.

Michelle spent much of the day alone with her thoughts, although she was aware that she was being regularly checked over the day. Sue, her support worker, finally coaxed her from the room for a brief walk around the garden.The walk was completed in silence as Michelle found she didn't have the energy to talk and, after admitting this to Sue, was assured that was fine. Bedtime at the unit was 10pm. Michelle found she was unable to sleep. Her thoughts drifted to Paul and she wondered what he was doing. Suddenly she found herself feeling unbearably sad and she sobbed in to her pillow. It was some time later that she realized she was no longer alone. Sue was sat in the chair near her bed, waiting for the crying to stop. Michelle declined the offer to talk about the cause of her tears, although she did accept medication to help her sleep.

The following morning Michelle awoke with a heavy fuggy head and felt sick. She showered and dressed in the hope that she would feel better. There was a knock on her door and then Helen came in to the room.

"How are you today?" she asked.

To Michelle's horror, she found herself crying but had no idea why. Helen requested some breakfast be brought to her room which they ate together. After eating, the doctor told Michelle it was time for therapy. She stood and led Michelle to a different room furnished with three comfortable chairs and a view of the garden. After flicking the sign on the door to engaged, the door was closed. Michelle hesitated before sitting down.

"Right," said Helen calmly, "As part of your time here you will have talk therapy where you will have the opportunity to talk through your feelings."

"OK." Michelle nodded, remembering being told this before. 

"Normally," Helen continued, "there will be another person in the room with me who acts as an observer. They will take notes and sometimes will lead the sessions instead of me. I'll still be here, but I'll have the observer role."

"Why do you do that?"

"The second person in the room is always your named contact – so for you it would be Sue. We work this way because it means that whenever you need support, whether in a session or out, the people dealing with you will always know what current issues are pending.  Everything you say and we discuss is private and confidential. Sue and I will meet and discuss a session but that will be as part of your treatment plan. That discussion takes place in a room like this which are sound proofed. Does that sound OK for you?"

Again Michelle nodded. "So will Sue be coming in here today?"

"Would you be happy for her to be here?"

Michelle hesitated again. "Does that mean the answer is no?" Helen asked.

"No...well...I don't know. Because of things that happened when I was younger, I find it hard to open up to people that I haven't ...well...that I haven't got to know in some way. I'm comfortable with you now because of how long I've been with you but with Sue, that's not there yet."

Helen nodded. "I can understand that, but for this first session it would be me you were talking with and then you would be spending time with Sue to get to know each other more."

"That would be OK then I think but," she paused.

"Go on."

"You're 100% sure about the confidentiality? It's just that obviously I'm going to be talking about Paul some point. Because he's in the public eye I don't want our private things....."

"That's perfectly understandable. You have our assurance on that Michelle. Do you feel ready to begin then?"

She nodded. Helen picked up a phone and told the person on the other line she was ready. Immediately Sue entered the room and sat so that the three formed a triangle. Michelle watched as she organized a note book and pen. Helen set up a tape recorder on the table.